GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Anyone upgraded the Turbo on GL350 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
Anyone upgraded the Turbo on GL350 ?

hey fellas, I cant find much stuff on this car, I'm trying to get rid of the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) as it forms a layer of carbon suit on the intake - and I also if someone has upgraded the Garrett stock turbo on there ? This isn't a performance vehicle but I wanna get a little kick out of it
Old 03-13-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 GL320
Funny.., just over the weekend I myself started getting curious on options of upgraded turbo, so let's see what others are saying. BTW, slightly related, I did put a Racechip box tune on mine and I really like it. I gets rid of some of the turbo lag and the car feels snappier, I recommend it!.. and it is less than 200$.

When it comes to you removing the EGR, how do you plan to do this? a computer tweak, or something else?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 gl320cdi
I am looking into all of this as well. I have a 2008 glcdi, and Green diesel tuning has an eco tune that helps with performance and fuel economy as well as turning off the EGR. Also they have dpf delete as well. Although I think this is only for the 07/08 models.

CB engineering does make a dpf delete pipe which I have purchased but have yet to install, will do obviously after the tune. I also purchased a CCV relocation kit that moves the vapors into the exhaust rather then the intake which merges with the carbon from the intake which makes more of a tar as I was told. When I have to pull the intake to do the oil cooler seals I plan to address this all and clean the intake. I may remove the swirl components which they will modify the cylinder heads and clean the carbon. I just want to make sure I don't lose any low end torque. I was told after 2k and with the tune would not miss.

As for the turbo I plan to send to a rebuilder I have used for years on different turbo applications. He may be able to modify with a billet wheel and other modifications to give a quicker spool. I have 145K so I figure I will address all of these at the same time. and any thing else in the area so wont have to get back in there for a while.

Steve
Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Be VERY careful when changing wheels on the turbo. It is VERY easy to change the aerodynamics of the compressor wheel and get it into ranges where compressor stall occurs. If that happens the compressor is toast IN A HURRY! The pieces often look like the wheel was trying to smash gravel!