Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:22 PM
MB+

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB GL450 x164
Arrow Wiring under carpet | Trim | kick panel

The sexy beast: 2010 GL450

I'd like to run a 4ga, positive lead, wire to the amp that'll be housed either in the spare tire compartment or the medical kit console in the trunk.

How ohhhhh how do I get that wire to run when i can't even pull up the carpet to fish line to the back let alone find space when I took off the kick panel sill that runs on the side of the beast. I removed it but it bares no space as my other cars have. As pictured that is what I'm calling a kick panel.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:22 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
gl450 530i
good luck. thats all i can say. you would have to run it thru the carpet from the passenger side and thru the battery compartment and snake it thru the rest of the wiring headed back that way
Old 03-23-2017, 11:30 PM
MB+

MB GL450 x164
That is what I wanted to do but the battery compartment doesn't allow for wires to run under carpet it's glued towards the back direction but opened towards the console and glove compartment direction. I would have liked to removed where side where the seat belts are but can't find a video on the how too Else that would be super easy.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:43 AM
MB+

MB GL450 x164
PM received and answered. This thread maybe deleted or locked.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
SO, what's the answeR?
The following users liked this post:
MB+ (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 PM
MB+

MB GL450 x164
I'll be through; okay so after pulling back the door/panel sealant and lifting the carpet I realized there was a channel of black tube-like enclosure where the wiring for speakers and other things ran thru. It basically ran the length of the two side doors of the vehicle.

In theory: In order for me to open that channel and put the wires in I would have to unscrew many wires and remove the passenger seat (as it was held underneath by screws as well) then open it proceed with install

What I ended up doing: I opened the lower trim of the seat belt wall-- bottom portion, where it is adjacent to the battery compartment. I was then able to fish line a wire to the battery compartment, to which I later drilled holes slightly bigger than the 4gauage wire. Now that the wire ran from the battery compartment to the lower portion of the seat belt wall it was then met to the side tube like channel.

Important: I then drilled holes which were 4 inches apart till I reached the end of the tube where I was able to pull the wires.
Why 4" apart? Bc of the congestion and shapes of the pre-existing wires in that tube I was unable to fishline it directly from the wall to the back. So I played it safe and fish lined each section slowly 4" so as not to drop the wire and have to start over.

DRILL SLOWLY BECAUSE THERE ARE WIRES ALREADY CHANNELING INSIDE THE TUBE.

Side notes: you can not hide or tuck the 4awg along the sides of the trim because there is no room or under the carpet because it is premolded to hold the shape and dampen sounds, thus the drill of holes. Worked or perfect.

Hope that helps.

I tapped into the headunit of the comand of the two rear speakers to the LC2i
Right rear (RR) Green stripe: (+)
Right rear (RR) Green solid: (-)
Left rear (LR) Yellow stripe: (+)
Left rear (LR) Yellow stripe: (-)

Tested, confirmed, success, no phase-out, polarity correct.

Headunit to the---> LC2i (set the gain) ---> to the amp---> and to the subwoofer