GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Expansion Valve Replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450
Expansion Valve Replacement?

Hello people, I am replacing my AC compressor and dryer this weekend. I think that I want to replace the expansion valve as well. It may have been the culprit of my recent AC problems. Has anybody done this job at home? Any general directions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
M3
Originally Posted by backdoc4you
Hello people, I am replacing my AC compressor and dryer this weekend. I think that I want to replace the expansion valve as well. It may have been the culprit of my recent AC problems. Has anybody done this job at home? Any general directions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Any update on this?? I may have the same problem....
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM

GL450
I replaced the AC compressor, dryer, and expansion valve in my garage. It took me about 8 hours but could easily have been 5 if I had known a few basic things, such as how to loosen the tension on the belt. Had the system re-charged the next day, and ice cold air again even in 120 degree days in Phoenix. I followed the directions posted in another post here, as well as the directions downloaded from a Mercedes Benz online repair manual. I think I spend about 500 on the best available parts and another 120 on the re-charge.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:53 PM

M3
I replaced the AC compressor, dryer, and expansion valve in my garage. It took me about 8 hours but could easily have been 5 if I had known a few basic things, such as how to loosen the tension on the belt. Had the system re-charged the next day, and ice cold air again even in 120 degree days in Phoenix. I followed the directions posted in another post here, as well as the directions downloaded from a Mercedes Benz online repair manual. I think I spend about 500 on the best available parts and another 120 on the re-charge.
I'm interested in the expansion valve replacement. I already had the other stuff done. Only thing I can think of that's left.

Where did you find the diagrams info for the expansion valve??
Old 10-08-2017, 07:14 PM

M3
Sent you a PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:45 PM

GL450
I responded to your PM. The expansion valve is not very difficult to find and replace. Just keep working your way forward into the firewall by loosening the AC lines/retaining clips and dust barriers. The AC system does need to be evacuated and recharged though.