GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Whats your current mileage on your x164

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2020 | 09:23 AM

2010 GL350 BLUETEC, 2013 E350 Sport
Question

Originally Posted by NiTeC
My '09 320 Bluetec is pushing 305k km on the original motor and tranny...I got it tuned and deleted a few months ago and am working on getting rid of the third row seating which I don't use and the AdBlue system to free up some storage space...
Only familiar with the 10 GL, but was the AdBlue tank somewhere in the cabin on the 09s? Just curious how much space to gain back doing this?
Old 06-22-2020 | 10:47 AM

2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
225,000 miles. 2008 GL 450

Bought it as a beater to haul the kids and dog in so they don't destroy my daily driver. Also need to put them as far back out of my ear as possible! It was the best condition I could find comparing to what I had looked at previously. But I believe it was driven by a women (I'm going to get smacked for that). Both rear wheel well flairs were scraped up as if they couldn't park.

I've only had it 2 months but so far I have:

Recharged A/C
Airmatic to Spring conversion
Replaced all rack and pinion bushings
Tune-up (air filters and spark plugs)

Need to do:
Tranny flush
Fix liftgate issue
Repair small rust spot

Not working but don't care to bother fixing:
Parking sensors. Pushing button on causes them to just go crazy they all beep and light up to the red, then the system disables itself. Not sure what that could be, don't really care that much as I can drive without them (not my first GL) and at least I have a backup camera. But if it's an easy fix let me know!
Old 06-22-2020 | 10:49 AM

2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
That gives my 225K GL450 hope Mr. Gl Sports
Old 06-22-2020 | 11:38 AM

gl550
Originally Posted by lexnoir
225,000 miles. 2008 GL 450

Bought it as a beater to haul the kids and dog in so they don't destroy my daily driver. Also need to put them as far back out of my ear as possible! It was the best condition I could find comparing to what I had looked at previously. But I believe it was driven by a women (I'm going to get smacked for that). Both rear wheel well flairs were scraped up as if they couldn't park.

I've only had it 2 months but so far I have:

Recharged A/C
Airmatic to Spring conversion
Replaced all rack and pinion bushings
Tune-up (air filters and spark plugs)

Need to do:
Tranny flush
Fix liftgate issue
Repair small rust spot

Not working but don't care to bother fixing:
Parking sensors. Pushing button on causes them to just go crazy they all beep and light up to the red, then the system disables itself. Not sure what that could be, don't really care that much as I can drive without them (not my first GL) and at least I have a backup camera. But if it's an easy fix let me know!
Hi there.
So here is what I know to be issues; I have a 2011 X164 GL 550 (105k miles). until 100k I only had dealer do work.
  • All 4 Struts have a lifespan of 60-80k (each $1500 at dealer to replace (yes $6k))
  • thermostat has gone 2x ($750) each time. (it's attached to the engine block; you simply can not swap it out)
  • the keyless go and sensor network is pure trash. They state that the connectors break or get corroded due to salt etc. (Isn't this an outside vehicle? kinda like an SUV... or is SUV for summertime useless vehicle). 1st network replacement was $2200 at 45k, and dealer helped out. I now live without Keyless go as I'm not spending $2200 to fix their engineering failure (again).
  • check your physical key into the door, that door lock froze/rusted due to "lack of activity" The car has keyless entry? why would I use the physical key?!? You need to do this so it doesn't (freeze) (when the battery is fully drained, you get to enjoy this)
  • the SAM and Battery are good for 8-10yrs. I just had to replace my set ($2000)
  • tires... get a true set of summer and winter wheel/tires. The weight and softness of the summer tires limit them to 20-25k. Winter tires also make the GL a beast in snow.
  • brakes... 30-40k. go to a brake guy or local guy. you'll save about $3-400 off of dealer.
  • find a mechanic outside of the MB dealership for routine items. The oil changes/wiper replacements/transmission flush/brake flush are better done by guys that do them as a livelihood. For complex issues, go back to dealer.
I wish I could say MB sucks, but my friends with Escalades say they suck. Cost of ownership here is high. I can say interior of car is great and classic quality, no complaints on that 9yrs later.
Old 06-22-2020 | 01:24 PM

2010 GL350 BLUETEC, 2013 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by tmurphy25
Hi there.
So here is what I know to be issues; I have a 2011 X164 GL 550 (105k miles). until 100k I only had dealer do work.
  • All 4 Struts have a lifespan of 60-80k (each $1500 at dealer to replace (yes $6k)))
Good Lord!!

Old 06-23-2020 | 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
It makes me a bit ill when I see someone overspend at the dealer. Much better and cheaper options in the aftermarket and either DIY or pay an indy to swap. I don't think I ever spent more than $500 per front axle including the part and that's with parts that include a lifetime warranty so the next time was less than $200/axle. The rear bags are very easy to DIY and take very little time/effort.
The following users liked this post:
Max Blast (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020 | 10:10 AM

Benz: 560 SEC, 2011 GL550 and other brands
Originally Posted by tmurphy25
Hi there.
  • thermostat has gone 2x ($750) each time. (it's attached to the engine block; you simply can not swap it out
This literally makes no sense.
The thermostat is housed in the Tstat housing. It bolts to the block with 2 bolts. OEM unit which is gasket, tstat housing, and tstat is 100$ new OEM part. 45 minute job to swap it.
I, about to do mine next week, if interested I can make a headcam Vlog of it
Old 06-24-2020 | 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by S-Vibes
Good Lord!!
Yeah don't go to the dealer for Airmatic issues...there are aftermarket solutions costing 1/4th of this with lifetime warranty.
Diamond Dave (10-16-2023)
Old 04-27-2021 | 11:52 PM

2011 GL450
142,000 - Been through the mountains many times and still going strong

Love the GL450. Found a local mechanic specializes in Mercedes - no more big repair bills. It’s has taken us where there are no roads, fjording over streams and up/down some pretty nasty inclines/declines. Fits the whole family - takes us anywhere safely and in style. 142,000 miles so far…

Last edited by Chaddydsm; 01-09-2022 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Mileage and pic update
Dinismb (10-17-2023)
Old 04-28-2021 | 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the air suspension has been a money pit, you are buying the wrong parts or taking to the wrong shop to do the work.
Chaddydsm (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021 | 11:27 AM

GL450
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Max Blast
Yeah don't go to the dealer for Airmatic issues...there are aftermarket solutions costing 1/4th of this with lifetime warranty.
That's correct! Arnott offers lifetime warrant. And if you buy Bilstein thru FCP you also get lifetime replacement.
Old 10-15-2023 | 01:25 PM

'07 GL450
Just crossed 120,000 this morning going to Costco and getting gas! Everything is doing great, but slight steering issue that pops up now and then. I don't know if it's the pump, the valve, or the rack. But it vibrates really bad, then gets really heavy like there isn't any PS, then fine for the rest of the time. Weird.

Anyway, lets see what I've done: Front wheel bearings, all four air bags, front struts/rear shocks, AC compressor seized, weird corrosion with some plugs under the seat (moisture intrusion), transmission conductor plate, transfer case leak, floppy mirror, cam plugs & cyclone, rear hatch latch. I think that's about it.

Everything else is regular maintenance w/ 10k oil changes/5k filter changes, fluids all changed front to back/top to bottom at 100k, rotors and pads at some point, spark plugs. Engine is freakishly perfect, with zero oil leaks or any issues. Everything else sort of makes me nervous though! I'm due for water pump, alternator, starter in the foreseeable future, but really no problems at this point with any of them. I have the above-mentioned steering issue I'll take it in for at some point, but kind of ignoring it for now.

Mileage back when this was a commuter/family vehicle was a little over 14. Now that it's really just for road trips and occasional around town it's up to 16.3MPG over the last 8,000 miles.

Old 10-15-2023 | 01:50 PM
EWT

11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
I rolled past 250K last month. Trying to decide if it is worth keeping at this point as an extra vehicle. It needs a new set of tires, battery, a windshield and the A/C recently mostly stopped working. No errors show up in Xentry, but the high side pressure is low (170ish PSI) and some vents blow cooler than others although none are the normal level of cold. If it needs a new compressor that will be the end of the road.

Old 10-15-2023 | 02:00 PM

'07 GL450
Originally Posted by EWT
I rolled past 250K last month. Trying to decide if it is worth keeping at this point as an extra vehicle. It needs a new set of tires, battery, a windshield and the A/C recently mostly stopped working. No errors show up in Xentry, but the high side pressure is low (170ish PSI) and some vents blow cooler than others although none are the normal level of cold. If it needs a new compressor that will be the end of the road.
I know the feeling and with only half the miles! The engine is just so good and strong, but seems like everything else is made of balsa wood and spaghetti. I keep thinking of selling it, but for the four to six times a year we need it for trips, it's absolutely perfect!

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned the clear coat is shot above windshield/in front of sunroof. Otherwise still looks nice outside and inside!
Dinismb (10-17-2023)
Old 10-15-2023 | 03:02 PM

2001 ML320 (gave to family member), 2007 GL450
I am at 266,000 miles now Alhamdulillah. But, I’m having several mechanical issues that popped up. My cluster looks like this:

The following 2 users liked this post by Isentropic:
Dinismb (10-17-2023), StradaRedlands (10-15-2023)
Old 10-16-2023 | 02:34 AM

2005 ML500, 2011 E350 4M, 2012 GL550
Everything else sort of makes me nervous though! I'm due for water pump, alternator, starter in the foreseeable future, but really no problems at this point with any of them.

At around 120K, why do you think you are due for water pump and alternator.
I understand the starter issues is a known problem with these cars but wp and alternator??
I’m at 125K as of today and same here, all the fluids changed from top to bottom. I go with 6-7K oil changes.
Just did a tranny fluid change last weekend as well as the trans case.
Diffs changed beginning of the summer.
Spark plugs and centrifuge cap changed around May also.
Only issue so far AC compressor quit just beginning of July, 3 days before a thousand mile trip. I did not have the time to wait for an order and tackle with that so I take it to my indie and after $1200 I got ice cold AC the next day.
Seems like the first owner got the suspension work around 80-85K and I bought the car at 105K little more than a year ago.
My favorite feature thou, the cooling seats on the 550, it’s perfect for Colorado, it’s warm outside but not enough to run the AC, just tilt the sunroof and rear wing windows and turn the cooling on, since the windows are still up, you don’t get any noise.
Or in the summer when the AC is on then the cooling on the seats, especially on the long drives your clothes does not stick to the leather seats.
Old 10-16-2023 | 02:46 AM

'07 GL450
Originally Posted by 01blackhawk
Everything else sort of makes me nervous though! I'm due for water pump, alternator, starter in the foreseeable future, but really no problems at this point with any of them.

At around 120K, why do you think you are due for water pump and alternator.
I understand the starter issues is a known problem with these cars but wp and alternator??
I’m at 125K as of today and same here, all the fluids changed from top to bottom. I go with 6-7K oil changes.
Just did a tranny fluid change last weekend as well as the trans case.
Diffs changed beginning of the summer.
Spark plugs and centrifuge cap changed around May also.
Only issue so far AC compressor quit just beginning of July, 3 days before a thousand mile trip. I did not have the time to wait for an order and tackle with that so I take it to my indie and after $1200 I got ice cold AC the next day.
Seems like the first owner got the suspension work around 80-85K and I bought the car at 105K little more than a year ago.
My favorite feature thou, the cooling seats on the 550, it’s perfect for Colorado, it’s warm outside but not enough to run the AC, just tilt the sunroof and rear wing windows and turn the cooling on, since the windows are still up, you don’t get any noise.
Or in the summer when the AC is on then the cooling on the seats, especially on the long drives your clothes does not stick to the leather seats.
I come from the BMW world, so I always expect the water pump, starter, and alternator to go out at any given moment!!!
The 100 mile AAA tow insurance pays for itself!
But no, I don't have a specific concern, just keeping my eye on those parts that can fail and are original.
Steering is my immediate issue right now :-/
Dinismb (10-17-2023)
Old 10-16-2023 | 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands
I come from the BMW world, so I always expect the water pump, starter, and alternator to go out at any given moment!!!
The 100 mile AAA tow insurance pays for itself!
But no, I don't have a specific concern, just keeping my eye on those parts that can fail and are original.
Steering is my immediate issue right now :-/
The water pump appears to have a very long life. If I recall correctly, @BlownV8 got north of 250k without needing to replace the water pump.

The alternator, starter, and battery form a three-legged stool. The battery failing will drag the alternator down; the alternator failing will drag the battery down. The starter failing will drag both down.

The primary cable from the engine compartment post to the alternator is a weak link. With the motor running, check for voltage drop along the cable.

The starter seems to be about a 120k mile item; the alternator about 180k, and the battery about six years. The starter runs till it doesn't, the alternator can easily be tested, the battery less easily but still not too difficult.
StradaRedlands (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023 | 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My water pump died at 100k miles. I mean, it absolutely shipped the bed. Was pouring out like a hole was blown in the pump. I never had to replace the starter or alternator and I owned it for around 13 years. I think environment plays a difference in those parts and living in Florida probably helps a lot.
StradaRedlands (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023 | 10:48 AM
EWT

11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
The water pump appears to have a very long life. If I recall correctly, @BlownV8 got north of 250k without needing to replace the water pump.

I'm still on the original water pump as well. Everything else rotating off the front of the engine has been replaced. I've done the alternator twice, and the starter seems to be acting up again even though it is only a few years old.
Old 10-16-2023 | 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by BlownV8
My water pump died at 100k miles. I mean, it absolutely shipped the bed. Was pouring out like a hole was blown in the pump. I never had to replace the starter or alternator and I owned it for around 13 years. I think environment plays a difference in those parts and living in Florida probably helps a lot.
Oh cool, thanks for the info.

That water pump failure sounds like a manufacturing defect. Normally the shaft seal wears out and the pump gradually starts leaking out the front.

Starter is usage based; with as many miles as you racked up, I'm guessing you did longer trips, meaning the starter activity was relatively lower.

I am surprised the alternator lasted that long. It is mostly the brushes wearing the commutator. Maybe with highway driving, engine revolutions per mile were lower.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 10-17-2023 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-16-2023 | 11:14 PM

'07 GL450

The alternator, starter, and battery form a three-legged stool. The battery failing will drag the alternator down; the alternator failing will drag the battery down. The starter failing will drag both down.

The primary cable from the engine compartment post to the alternator is a weak link. With the motor running, check for voltage drop along the cable.

The starter seems to be about a 120k mile item; the alternator about 180k, and the battery about six years. The starter runs till it doesn't, the alternator can easily be tested, the battery less easily but still not too difficult.
Oh, glad you mentioned the pos cable... we had to get that done last year, forgot about that.

But now it's a moot point...

Nothing real bad, but I have a bad feeling it will get totaled out :-( Hood, bumper, bumper cover/grill, and light will need to be replaced. Nothing too terrible beyond that. Air pump is good, steering/suspension didn't take a hit (I don't think). But I'm guessing insurance will only say it's worth around $6k, and I think the work needed will be right around there...

Everyone's okay, we were in the number one lane and a car merged into us from the number two lane. They should be 100% at fault, but still TBD by claims.

/sigh
Old 10-17-2023 | 10:07 AM

Mercedes gl450
144k. Biggest (and only) non-routine repair: Replaced alternator. Going in for trans fluid/filter change next week. Other than that, I replaced the coolant, front & rear brake pads, oil & filter, I've only had the SUV since January 2023.
Old 10-17-2023 | 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands
Oh, glad you mentioned the pos cable... we had to get that done last year, forgot about that.

But now it's a moot point...

[pics deleted]

Nothing real bad, but I have a bad feeling it will get totaled out :-( Hood, bumper, bumper cover/grill, and light will need to be replaced. Nothing too terrible beyond that. Air pump is good, steering/suspension didn't take a hit (I don't think). But I'm guessing insurance will only say it's worth around $6k, and I think the work needed will be right around there...

Everyone's okay, we were in the number one lane and a car merged into us from the number two lane. They should be 100% at fault, but still TBD by claims.

/sigh
Ooh bummer.

If you are emotionally attached to the vehicle, consider buying it from the insurance company for salvage cost.

Reminds me of the imperative to get my dash cam hooked back up. We have to expect people are going to get weirder out there.
StradaRedlands (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023 | 11:01 AM

'07 GL450
Ooh bummer.

If you are emotionally attached to the vehicle, consider buying it from the insurance company for salvage cost.

Reminds me of the imperative to get my dash cam hooked back up. We have to expect people are going to get weirder out there.
Ohhh, a dash cam would have helped here for sure!

Not super emotionally attached, but a lot of $$$ and time invested in it. Which is the topic of this thread, right! It's a shame as it was a REALLY good vehicle that we kept up on. Fingers crossed it can be repaired, but ready for anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whats your current mileage on your x164