GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2011 gl350 x164 hp/performance question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes GL350
2011 gl350 x164 hp/performance question

It lacks in torque and hp. Curious if anyone knows of any tuners or simple upgrades to get this thing a little more?
I will be purchasing a boat and want to know I will not have any issues pulling out of the ramps. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
I've come across some by googling. Tentative to bite the bullet.

Lacks in torque/HP? Really? I'm not sure what you're comparing it to, but if you feel it's down on power then you might have a mechanical issue. What size boat are you planning on getting? Unless you're trying to pull something way over your limit, you shouldn't have an issue. I tow multiple boats/things - up to about 7K - no issues. And your engine has more power than mine.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes GL350
So

Originally Posted by DennisG01
I've come across some by googling. Tentative to bite the bullet.

Lacks in torque/HP? Really? I'm not sure what you're comparing it to, but if you feel it's down on power then you might have a mechanical issue. What size boat are you planning on getting? Unless you're trying to pull something way over your limit, you shouldn't have an issue. I tow multiple boats/things - up to about 7K - no issues. And your engine has more power than mine.
you don't know me so I can somewhat understand the "google" reference. Now, I have searched and have came up with forums and talks back 2011-2013 regarding the matter but nothing recent. All statements with perhaps true products at the time comes with pages expired and/or products simply non existent. Yes the gl has 210hp 400ftlb torque. No matter if I plan on towing something that weighs 1000lbs or 7500lbs I simply asked for any suggestions on the subject. 210hp for a full size SUV is not a lot. Along the lines of a Ford Fiesta specs. Decent torque ratings for the gl but it's a diesel so it's expected. Always improvements are best... reasoning behind my post. Still not answer to the question I see. Just a generic statement about google. Nice.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by PSKINGJ2
you don't know me so I can somewhat understand the "google" reference. Now, I have searched and have came up with forums and talks back 2011-2013 regarding the matter but nothing recent. All statements with perhaps true products at the time comes with pages expired and/or products simply non existent. Yes the gl has 210hp 400ftlb torque. No matter if I plan on towing something that weighs 1000lbs or 7500lbs I simply asked for any suggestions on the subject. 210hp for a full size SUV is not a lot. Along the lines of a Ford Fiesta specs. Decent torque ratings for the gl but it's a diesel so it's expected. Always improvements are best... reasoning behind my post. Still not answer to the question I see. Just a generic statement about google. Nice.
Well, that's a interesting way to introduce yourself to a new forum. You totally missed the point of my comment. Your question centered about not wanting to get stuck at the ramp and I DID answer that.

Yes, tuners are out there - and yes more is usually better - but at what cost? I've done mods to other vehicles and am not afraid to do so. But I wonder how much better it can really get and then there's always the risk of the new programming causing extra long term wear or damage.

I was responding as a real-world user of the car - and one who tows with it. But, don't you think you answered your own question in regards to googling and ECM mods? If there's not much information out there, that likely means it either isn't high on many GL owner's list (the majority of GL owner's don't trailer) or there haven't been very many people wanting to risk it. IF I was going to purchase a tuner, I would definitely NOT base my decision on just a few posts on some forum.

As far as mods - like CAI - have you even looked at the existing setup? Truth is, you'd be hard pressed to find another mid-sized SUV that trailers as comfortably as this one.

FYI, your comment about lacking in HP shows an uneducated understanding of this subject. OF COURSE it doesn't have a high HP rating. It's a diesel, remember? If you knew something about HP, you would know that it is a theoretical number. It is a calculated number, being a function of torque (a real, MEASURABLE number) and RPM. The higher the RPM of a given engine, the higher the HP. Diesels are low RPM creatures. The other part of this that you need to understand is that it's not all about the "peak" numbers. Torque, for example, is used quite differently in a diesel than in a gasser. It's not so much the actual number, it's WHERE in the RPM band the numbers are. With a diesel, the torque comes in very low in the RPM band and doesn't peter off, either. It reaches it's peak very early and then runs pretty much flat across the band.

You haven't even towed with it, yet - I have. You won't get stuck. There 'ya go - that's a more direct (simpler) answer regarding your concern.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
One does not rate hp to evaluate a diesel motor. Torque is the metric. 240 hp is plenty for DD purposes up to 100 MPH.

As the saying goes. HP is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how hard you hit it. What do you want for tow?

Also the quality of US diesel is not conducive to tuning but it's your car.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
HP = (torquexRPM)/5252. All the sayings don't really make sense to me. It's just where in the RPM range you measure torque. Typically, diesels make big low end torque since most don't rev very high. The diesels run very efficiently at low RPM's which makes them great for towing and heavy equipment.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 Gl320, 2008 Widebody E92 335I (Race car), E90 335i(Daily Driver), Audi Q5 (Wife's Car)
Check the Jeep CRD forums. They have a good amount of information with regards of modifying the OM642. Their preferred tuner seems to be GDE (Green Diesel Engineering). I am kind of the in same boat.

I'm on the fence about purchasing a gl diesel because i'm worried that it will be a big step down in terms of power towing from my Cayenne Turbo.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GL350
I am a 2010 GL owner with a 5000lb travel trailer, and a 6000-7000lb boat, depending on fuel and gear. I am over the rated tow limit on the boat when you add the trailer weight, but I usually only pull it a few miles from the ramp to my warehouse. Once a year maybe 20 miles to a mechanic. So I am careful about tongue weight, tranny fluid changes, and engine temp. But I can say this about the power of the diesel GL w/642 engine.
I have never had a problem pulling a boat up the ramp, accelerating at a green light, or pulling up a steep bridge.
With the travel trailer on the highway, it's more about air drag than weight. But I hum along at 65 getting 15mpg and hardly notice the trailer behind. I can effortessly push it up to 70-75, where fuel efficiency drops a bit, but I try not to because inevitably some moron cuts me off and I worry about slamming on the brakes at 75 with a trailer.
And I have taken the trailer over long interstate mountain passes with a 7% grade and the GL chugs along at 60-65 mph and 2000-2500RPM. It could go faster at higher RPM w turbo boost, but I try to keep the diesel under 2500rpm. I have also towed the trailer up and down 10% grades on gravel roads to more remote campsites, without any problems.
So I think a debate about how to increase the GL "power", or which vehicle has "more power" is a little off base. The GL has enough power to pull anything within its tow rating, and to do it as fast as is safe. Maybe the Cayenne can do 100 pulling a trailer and the GL only 90. I don't know.
If there is a debate, it should be about safety and reliability when towing. Not about top speed.
And FWIW, if you think I am some shill for Mercedes, read my other posts. The GL 2010-2011 are lemons. Maintenance nightmares. But when they are not in the shop for 4 figure repair bills, they are 7 seater soccer mom all wheel drive luxury SUV diesel towing champs!