GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

AIRMATIC...more like problematic!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
AIRMATIC...more like problematic!

Have been fighting this system for about a month, I finally had enough and made my appointment with Ekstensive Metal Works out of Texas to completely redo the suspension on this thing.
Had a small leak on passenger front in which I switched out both sides on front. Had ordered rear bellows as welll but ended up sending them back due to the system working okay for about a week. Compressor works great but tank was not getting pressure due to a faulty valve manifold. Due to the suspension being rehauled in November I temp fixed it by, bypassing the valve manifold along with the compressor and simply putting a in-line ball valve for the front and another one for the rear. Throw my airline to it and up she goes. I understand a lot of people want the factory system as is and I respect that. Being around air ride for years I simply could not put my family in this truck without worrying about another issue with the factory system. 4mm O.D airline is absolutely ridiculous on this thing. Valve manifold body is plastic let alone the fact I absolutely can not stand compression fittings. I'll catch nonsense for this post, more so for the ball valve temp fix but I'm ok with it. I'm not one of those sensitive people like you see now a days!
Ill post pictures of the progress if anyone is interested in it.
I will be molding an iPad in the dash along with bypassing the factory audio with a nice clean upgrade as well.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Land Rover Discovery series I
I've thought of a 5 gauge manifold to see what each line has in it for pressures. It would help diagnose issues.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
I do agree with your thought process. After replacing the two front springs the rear is the only ones leaking down. I unfortunately have had bad luck with this. I just ordered two rear springs in which I'll be replacing this weekend. Instead of dealing with adding air to the rear every few days, at this point what it's costing to replace the two rear is worth it. Due to the flooding in Houston I'm not sure when I'll take it down to get the suspension redone so we shall wait and see.