Coolant Level & Power Steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GL420CDi
Coolant Level & Power Steering

Hi all,

Am new to this forum and am hoping that maybe someone else has had a similar issue to mine. I recently bought a 2006 GL420 CDi which for it's age is in fairly good condition. There are a few things which need doing but mainly cosmetics.

On getting the car home, I noticed that the dash board was displaying a top up coolant level message. I did this and on starting up the car, the message came back after a little while. At the same time though the power steering seemed to get quite heavy as well. After switching the car off for a while, the power steering started working again.

I took the car to my local garage but forgot to mention the heavy steering as I thought that maybe that was just a glitch at the time which had somehow fixed itself. The mechanic there looked over it and told me that the coolant level was a little low and that he had topped it up again. On the drive back home, the steering went heavy again. Having parked the car up for an hour or so and then starting it up again, the power steering came back to life again.

Now I'm seriously starting to think that the 2 may well be related - any ideas?