GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Coolant Leaking from under engine bay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450
Coolant Leaking from under engine bay

2008 Gl450. Get a warning to top of coolant. After filling, a few minutes later, the same warning. Apparently, coolant is leaking from under the car. Enough that after refilling the reservoir; a few minutes later, another top off coolant warning.

Jacked the vehicle up this morning to determine if I locate a hose or connector gone bad. Everything in the engine bay is dry (head, radiator hoses, reservoir, both radiators).

After about 5 minutes of running the engine, a stream of fluid appeared running down towards the rear of the engine on the drivers side.
This would be just after the wheel but before the front door. The fluid is leaking off a bolt. Looks like one of the bolts for control arm. I'm assuming the source is above that but it's covered by a heat shield and parts of the frame. Can't really tell the exact source.

I read in another post that coolant from the back of the engine would indicate a heater hose. Can anyone confirm or elaborate on that? Any suggestions before I have to turn myself over top the mercy of the dealer?
Old 10-12-2019, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL450
Originally Posted by kware123
2008 Gl450. Get a warning to top of coolant. After filling, a few minutes later, the same warning. Apparently, coolant is leaking from under the car. Enough that after refilling the reservoir; a few minutes later, another top off coolant warning.

Jacked the vehicle up this morning to determine if I locate a hose or connector gone bad. Everything in the engine bay is dry (head, radiator hoses, reservoir, both radiators).

After about 5 minutes of running the engine, a stream of fluid appeared running down towards the rear of the engine on the drivers side.
This would be just after the wheel but before the front door. The fluid is leaking off a bolt. Looks like one of the bolts for control arm. I'm assuming the source is above that but it's covered by a heat shield and parts of the frame. Can't really tell the exact source.

I read in another post that coolant from the back of the engine would indicate a heater hose. Can anyone confirm or elaborate on that? Any suggestions before I have to turn myself over top the mercy of the dealer?
I have the exact same problem! Did you ever figure out the exact source?
Old 10-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450
Originally Posted by nobleeth
I have the exact same problem! Did you ever figure out the exact source?

Yes it was a hose in some obscure location than you can’t to. I ended up needing a new reservoir box as well.

less than a year later the problem started again but from a different location. I was told there is a leak in the radiator.

That was after I had just spend 1100 getting the other air bag replaced. The day I got the the diagnosis of two bad rear wheel bearings and some other crazy thing in the front end.

They had their hands out looking for more 4 more grand. I took the 4 and it down on a Silverado. ✌🏿

Last edited by kware123; 10-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
funkypost (12-16-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 - S430, W220 - S430, W221, S550, X164 - GL450
Originally Posted by kware123
Yes it was a hose in some obscure location than you can’t to. I ended up needing a new reservoir box as well.

less than a year later the problem started again but from a different location. I was told there is a leak in the radiator.

That was after I had just spend 1100 getting the other air bag replaced. The day I got the the diagnosis of two bad rear wheel bearings and some other crazy thing in the front end.

They had their hands out looking for more 4 more grand. I took the 4 and it down on a Silverado. ✌🏿
it would be super cool if you could tell us the location and part number. This is an issue that is not specific to one GL.
Old 12-16-2023, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My source was the cheap plastic developing a pin hole leak right where the upper hose enters the reservoir on the drivers side. Videos I've watched to learn how to replace the radiator showed the exact same location for each one! Also, when I was under the hood I noticed the nipple on the overflow was cracked. Tried JB Weld but just didn't hold. Hope this helps!