GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Pics after a quick Detail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 Gl320, 2008 Widebody E92 335I (Race car), E90 335i(Daily Driver), Audi Q5 (Wife's Car)
Pics after a quick Detail

After a off road 'mishap' I decided to do a bit of paint correction on the GL while the girls were away on Black friday. The Gl had extensive pin striping on both sides from branches brushing up against the pain *cringe*. Most of it easily came out after a short time with my DA and compound. While I was at it I also plasti dipped the rear valence area since it was permanently grey. To top it off she was coated with Menzerna Powerlock sealent to preserve the paint during the harsh winter months.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 GL550
Lookin shweet.

Topped it off with the bow.

Bet you cant get mine that clean.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:12 PM

2008 Gl320, 2008 Widebody E92 335I (Race car), E90 335i(Daily Driver), Audi Q5 (Wife's Car)
Originally Posted by kensiko
Lookin shweet.

Topped it off with the bow.

Bet you cant get mine that clean.
Never say never. My Gl's paint was pretty rough when I picked it up. It had a significant amount of 'love marks' from improper wash methods. It took about 12hrs of compounding and paint correction the first time around but the results were amazing.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:46 PM

2008 GL550
Originally Posted by SilverArrow_AMG
Never say never. My Gl's paint was pretty rough when I picked it up. It had a significant amount of 'love marks' from improper wash methods. It took about 12hrs of compounding and paint correction the first time around but the results were amazing.
Alright, you talked me into it, you can do mine too.

But seriously, are you a detailer by trade or self taught?

Your skill set sounds legit.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by kensiko
Alright, you talked me into it, you can do mine too.

But seriously, are you a detailer by trade or self taught?

Your skill set sounds legit.
Lol thanks. I'm self taught, aka I watch a bunch of youtube videos on the subject and go try it out on my own cars. I would start with watching some basic videos on the Ammo NYC youtube page. Larry Kosilla from Ammo NYC is an awesome detailer and does a good job of explaining on how detail, best methods, recommend tools, etc. I kind of have a pretty standardized method of how I usually detail that I feel would work well for 90% of individuals. I can PM you that if you're interested.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 PM

2008 GL550
Originally Posted by SilverArrow_AMG
Lol thanks. I'm self taught, aka I watch a bunch of youtube videos on the subject and go try it out on my own cars. I would start with watching some basic videos on the Ammo NYC youtube page. Larry Kosilla from Ammo NYC is an awesome detailer and does a good job of explaining on how detail, best methods, recommend tools, etc. I kind of have a pretty standardized method of how I usually detail that I feel would work well for 90% of individuals. I can PM you that if you're interested.
Yah, please send me the info and any links which you found helpful.

I dont use a DA as I'm "scared" to cut the paint.

I find that modern day waxes contain enough fillers and additives to mask/fill-in paint imperfections as long as its not too bad.