GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Your radiator leaking - check this first, fixed mine!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 GL320
Your radiator leaking - check this first, fixed mine!

OK, I got a low coolant warning then I noticed a wet spot on the driver side under the front bumper/radiator. Went under the car (no jacking needed) and with a flash light and a mirror I examined the lower edge of the radiator when I noticed a wet area around the brass fitting that holds the power steering hose, right above the red drain plug (driver side). This radiator basically has integrated oil cooler in it for the transmission and the power steering pump. Then I decided to remove the radiator and examine it closely. I removed the metal piece over the radiator, then unscrewed the two bolts holding the fan and slided it out. Sliding the fan out was a little tricky as you have to navigate around hoses but tilting it and pushing it around allows you to do it without having to disconnect anything except the power plug in it, which is a two finger squeeze - thanks god! Now with the fan removed it gave me room to peak from the top and see the drain plug and the brass fitting well (see picture). Without removing the radiator I took a wrench to see if it is loose and to my surprise it was very loose. I tightened it on the spot, make sure not to overtighten as it may crack the plastic, and that fixed the issue!!. I also checked the one above it, it was slightly loose too, I tightened it as well to be safe. So I am not sure if the heat over time loosens those but just in case I put a drop of fiberglass on top of each one to make sure they don’t loosen up again. Leak is fixed!! : ) : )

Pic from the top of radiator looking to the right bottom part
The following 4 users liked this post by johny75:
backdoc4you (03-05-2018), mefferso (12-20-2017), sak335 (01-06-2018), texas008 (11-14-2023)
Old 01-17-2022, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
I know this is a few years old, but I had exactly this same leak today. Took me a bit to realize where the leak was and when I did find it, this post helped me to confirm it wasn't supposed to be loose. However, only the lower brass fitting was loose on mine, so instead of removing the fan completely, I simply unbolted the fan (after removing the metal shield at the top) and suspended it with a tool to give me access to the lower brass fitting. My fitting was loose by almost a full turn. I had to use a 19 mm open wrench on it.
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (01-17-2022)
Old 11-14-2023, 07:41 AM

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 GL450
thanks for sharing
Old 11-14-2023, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 594 Likes on 500 Posts
2007 GL450
Another potential failure point: The power steering fluid return hose leaks fluid onto the heater hose below, degrading it and leading to leaks. This integrated power steering fluid cooler (actually a heater, given that it is on the hot side of the radiator) is trouble.
texas008 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 09:29 AM

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Another potential failure point: The power steering fluid return hose leaks fluid onto the heater hose below, degrading it and leading to leaks. This integrated power steering fluid cooler (actually a heater, given that it is on the hot side of the radiator) is trouble.
Thanks for sharing, seems its better get all those hoses replaced. and wrap aluminum foil/copper foil around the heater hose where the fluid drips onto, for protection.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 594 Likes on 500 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by texas008
Thanks for sharing, seems its better get all those hoses replaced. and wrap aluminum foil/copper foil around the heater hose where the fluid drips onto, for protection.
The lower heater hose can be replaced with ordinary heater hose.

I salvaged some wire loom type plastic from a dishwasher drain hose. That seems like it would work quite well; just slip it over the heater hose. I am sure wire loom is available in all sorts of diameters. Just make sure the lengthwise slice on the loom is pointing down!

Then again, it would probably be best to simply monitor the power steering low pressure line for leaks.
texas008 (11-15-2023)