GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 Lousy compressor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2017 | 10:33 PM

GL450
GL450 Lousy compressor

Hi. I started hearing a ticking noise on front passenger side (most likely from compressor) while driving. The same noise appears when I'm raising vehicle, and from outside it's very lousy. I can temporarily stop the noise while driving if I press raise button twice (to start raising the car and to cancel it). Scanning tool showed 5503 DTS code indicating a long recovery time for central reservoir filling. Which would indicate that I need to replace the compressor? I also see cal level for right front is changing between -27-28mm constantly while all other levels are steady and not changing.
Can that be only a compressor? If so, why would it work while I'm driving? Or, the level sensor might contribute to it as well?
Old 12-24-2017 | 12:50 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Leave truck for a day or two. It will prolly sag on one side. If not- compressor tests need to be performed in star/ das to determine compressor condition.
Old 12-26-2017 | 04:35 PM

GL450
After 2 days sitting in the garage, the car is still aligned, no sagging at all. I've ordered a new compressor as it's lousy anyway. I guess it'll be cheaper to replace the compressor then performing the compressor tests by a mechanic...

But I'm still puzzled by the noise I hear while driving. The noise comes from a passenger side dashboard. It starts in a few min after starting driving and is more of a ticking noise. And if I open the window, I do not hear it from the outside, so it must not be the compressor. The noise goes away:
1) When I fully stop the car. When I resume driving, the noise comes back as well.
2) When double press vehicle raise button. After several seconds it comes back though.
3) Sometimes, the noise goes away by itself while driving the car. It may go away for a long or short amount of time, intermittently.

I was thinking it can be stepper motor lever, but I do not see how vehicle raise button can impact it and I do not have any problems with climate control, whether it's AC or heating. I'd really hate to pull off the entire dashboard to diagnose the issue and wonder if anybody has any hints on how things will be diagnosed more accurately?