First Mercedes - GL320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320
First Mercedes - GL320

Hi all,

I just got my first Mercedes, a 2007 Mercedes GL320 with ~160K miles on it. Beautiful vehicle and quite an upgrade from my 2000 Honda CR-V. A few questions, I tend to do most maintenance myself when possible with the most involved probably being a timing belt, but I am noticing the Mercedes seems to have quite a bit more complex system with the STAR 4 system and such. I am thinking maybe buying that off eBay will make sense at some point but prefer to avoid as long as possible. The Mercedes checked out pretty well there were a few issues I need to resolve and I'm guessing most won't require any computer changes, but let me know if not.

Also, if you have suggestions on best place to confirm part numbers/schematics, recommended part suppliers, torque specs, etc. Here are the issues the inspection found.

-Rear Shocks - they said the compressor and bags were ok, so I'm hoping this is just like a normal shock/strut change. After the shocks on Amazon usable or should I be special ordering these?
-Transmission Cooler Lines - I'll probably have a mechanic do this one
-Muffler Hanger - just need to figure out how to find the part
-Transmission Mount - same
-Power steering rack seal and hose rings - not sure how invasive this one is yet, if it's reasonably accessible I'll probably take this on
-3rd Row Seat Belts - again just need to figure out best way to confirm parts
-Battery install - does this require any computer changes? In any other car I just swap it out and it works, but let me know if this causes radio lock outs or anything else
-Netting behind front seats - Looks like this requires taking off the seat back and replacing it or hacking it a little bit with new netting and bungies

Anything you can share that would be helpful would be most appreciated.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 Gl320, 2008 Widebody E92 335I (Race car), E90 335i(Daily Driver), Audi Q5 (Wife's Car)
Can't comment on the rest but I replaced my rear shocks with Amazon ones and they seem to be working fine. If you do decide to tackle this endeavor yourself might I suggest your remove the interior quarter panel vs lifting up the 3rd row arm rest. The leather arm rest are plastic welding to the plastic panel and Once you remove them they will not go back on like they on how you removed them. It's not discernible unless you go looking for it but the big issue is you will have a god awful rattle from the two panels rubbing on each other. I'm currently looking to remedy this myself.

The Gl320 is a great vehicle, Enjoy!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Find part numbers at realoem.com

Then buy parts from mbdirectparts.com

On Mercedes, one replaces one shock at a time.

After battery replacement, you have to normalize the windows and sunroof, calibrate the compass, and reset the clock. Before disconnecting, switch off everything electrical you can and if there is keyless go, get the key away from the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
mjanasik (03-04-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
BMW 335d
Originally Posted by lkchris
On Mercedes, one replaces one shock at a time.
With 160k miles? No. Replace both rear shocks.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 AM

GL320
Originally Posted by SilverArrow_AMG
Can't comment on the rest but I replaced my rear shocks with Amazon ones and they seem to be working fine. If you do decide to tackle this endeavor yourself might I suggest your remove the interior quarter panel vs lifting up the 3rd row arm rest. The leather arm rest are plastic welding to the plastic panel and Once you remove them they will not go back on like they on how you removed them. It's not discernible unless you go looking for it but the big issue is you will have a god awful rattle from the two panels rubbing on each other. I'm currently looking to remedy this myself.

The Gl320 is a great vehicle, Enjoy!
thanks I saw one of the videos on YouTube where he went through the arm rest and it seemed like that would cause a permanent separation. The previous owner took very good care of the interior so I want to baby it as long as possible so I’ll take your advice. There was another video on YouTube where the guy removed a ton of interior pieces to get to the top bolts so I’ll assume that’s the safest way to prevent any cosmetic issues. It looks like that will be the majority of the labor as the struts themselves seem to go in like any standard strut.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:45 PM

GL320
Thanks this was very helpful. Any opinion on Bilstein vs. Arnott? I would normally just get Bilstein but lifetime warranty on Arnott is making me lean in that direction.

Also, any good source that lists the torque settings for the vehicle?