GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Question Re: COMMAND DVD Playback to Rear Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Question Question Re: COMMAND DVD Playback to Rear Entertainment System

Hi all, I have a 2011 GL450. Thus far, my kids have always watched the same DVD on both screens using the player in the 2nd row seat -- I hadn't realized two different DVDs could be played by inserting one in the COMMAND system in the dash.

I tried it out the other day, and I was able to display the two different DVDs on each of the screens, but the speaker systems in the entire car would play sound from the DVD in the front (even though my kids were listening through the headseats). If I tried to switch to radio, so that the rest of us could listen to music, the DVD would stop playing on the screen in the back.

Not sure I'm explaining this well -- is it possible to play two different DVDs on the rear entertainment system while also listening to music via the radio/CDs/SDcard on the car speakers?
Old 06-06-2018, 04:02 PM

GL450
I don't believe you can do that. Buy playing the DVD from the front unit you are using the audio output to play that DVD. Any switching to another source will eliminate the DVD playback as you explained. The only way you can do this, would be to pick up a cheap portable DVD player and AV cables, plug it directly into one of the monitor aux ports in the back, set that monitor to play from the player aux, and the other monitor to play from the factory player in the back. Then you can set the front audio main speakers to anything you like.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
It's possible...it's just the command is a pain to deal with.

I think you need to press active rear audio from the front command when setting up the rear screens. Then you can switch after to radio
Old 06-08-2018, 12:51 PM

2003 E320
Thanks kombifan - you gave me hope so I took the time to tinker with it some more. I got it to work with the radio and I didn't even know how I did it at first, played with it some more and realized the following (maybe this will help someone else out there):

Once you have the DVD in front playing in the back, if you switch to radio using the COMMAND menu, it will shut off the DVD video playback. You must use the RADIO button to the left of the screen. This will allow the car speakers to play the radio, while the DVD playback for the rear screen remains uninterrupted.

Obviously, you can't listen to audio CDs as the disc reader is tied up with playing the video DVD, but the real disappointing thing is that you can't play MP3s on the SD Card either... At least, I couldn't figure that one out.