GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Doors won't stop locking

Old 06-17-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Doors won't stop locking

Hi there, I've recently started to have an intermittent problem where all my doors try to lock themselves over and over again. Sometimes it happens while driving, sometimes when it is in the garage. When it does it the key fob doesn't work to unlock it.

I tried taking the key out of the fob hoping this would prevent a fob signal getting to the car, but it had no effect. I haven't confirmed yet, but I think the problem may occur when the fob is not present, but that doesn't eliminate the possibility the fob is sending a signal from inside the house. I was wondering if anybody else had this problem and maybe where to begin looking for the issue. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2018, 05:05 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I had the same problem, think I know what the issue is.

Mine kept unlocking. You would come to a traffic light and hear a soft "click" which was the doors unlocking quite often by themselves.
First test was to lock the doors and drive. It kept unlocking.
Then locked the doors and put the key very far away (my wife went out and I gave her both keys, while I stayed home with the car on the driveway). Doors did not unlock.

So the problem was not the key, it was the truck itself.

Disconnected the passenger door lock/unlock button (on the inside, near the inside door handle) and the problem STOPPED.

Those interior lock/unlock switches get flaky after a while. Try disconnecting one and see if the problem goes away. If not then try the other.

To remove it's quite simple if you know how. With the truck off, press down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time. In between the two buttons is a plastic piece that sticks out. Grab with needle nose pliers and pull hard (it's like a little handle). The switch will pop out. Remove ribbon cable carefully.

The tip of my ribbon cable was green with corrosion too, so I cleaned it carefully w electrical cleaner and a rag before installing the new switch.

Switch wasn't expensive at all (I think $50?)