GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Intake Manifold Replacement vs. Repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLS450, 2013 GL450, RIP 2011 GL450 (totalled)
Intake Manifold Replacement vs. Repair

I've seen many trains of thought regarding intake manifold replacement vs. repair. I have not been able to find a consolidated thread that duels out both trains of thought. I am leaning towards repair but also have seen other random posts/articles stating the repair did not solve the issue. I have P2004 stored when read by Star Diagnostic, Tumble flap shafts stick in actuated position.

Example from underhoodservice.com:
"The area that is not so obvious involves the actual shafts inside the manifold (see Image 2). The shafts will fail inside the manifold and bind, causing the lever to break and the caps shown to look like they are popping off the manifold. Do not be fooled by aftermarket repair kits; they are ineffective at repairing the shafts on the inside. We have seen cases where parts of the flap became dislodged and ended up in the engine. When this happens, you will need to do a valve job to repair the vehicle."

Another example from eeuroparts.com:
"Even though you have the V8, the intake manifold on your car is simply a scaled up version of the V6 manifold, which also suffers the same issues with runner flap hangups and snapped plastic pieces. Let me know what part on it is actually broken and I can see if we can replace it. I am assuming you will need an entire new manifold, because the most likely cause of failure is that the manifold is gummed up, caused a lot of resistance on the flaps, and part of it broke."

1. The tumbler on the exterior of manifold is clearly an easy fix once the manifold is removed. Are there other failure points within the manifold that may not generate codes or be fixed with tumbler flap?
2. Does the intake really get gummed up from PCV oil causing other malfunctions not repaired by tumbler flap repair?

I mainly want to fix the manifold for rest of vehicle life, so want to be sure before I invest time in repair that no other likely failure points will arise. Any debates on repair vs. replacement welcome.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!

Mine just got replaced at the dealership.

It was apparently an 800 part that was remanufactured.

I didn't even know that it needed replacing...no check engine light when I brought it in, but apparently it had a stored code that the mechanic and sa took upon themselves to get fixed.

Last edited by kombifan; 08-22-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:21 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Some can be repaired and others need replacement. Remove manifold and have a lookie lookie... it will be self explanatory. Use the opportunity to clean the manifold if you will be repairing - some gunk up some don’t. Decide once you have it in your hands