GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Odd noise on cold down shifts.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Odd noise on cold down shifts.

Hi guys. I have a second 2007 GL 450 that I just picked up. I noticed that when I start it in the morning it's totally quiet (normal noises). As I drive it to the end of the block and am braking the last two downshifts sound loud. Buzzing, whining, almost grinding noise. It continues as I pull away for a few seconds, then never comes back after it warms up. The dealer where I purchased it claims it's just the alternator . I have a 15 day warranty and would hate for it to be the trans that they're skirting repair on. Anyone had this before? I'll try to post a vid.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:15 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
a well worn front diff will make that noise- sounds like a buzzing/ grinding/ groaning on low speed deceleration. it goes away very quickly too once the diff is a bit warmed up

not saying this is definitely the culprit, but most high mileage early x164s have it... and it is not an indication of pending diff failure.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by alx
a well worn front diff will make that noise- sounds like a buzzing/ grinding/ groaning on low speed deceleration. it goes away very quickly too once the diff is a bit warmed up

not saying this is definitely the culprit, but most high mileage early x164s have it... and it is not an indication of pending diff failure.
Yeah, that sounds like an accurate description. Would a fluid change help any? I attached a short video I took the other day . Thanks for the help!
Attached Files
File Type: avi
GL Grinding noise (1).avi (4.42 MB, 39 views)