GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Cell phone mounting w/wireless charging - where are you putting yours?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 450
Cell phone mounting w/wireless charging - where are you putting yours?

Just curious what others are using for their mobile phone setups. Ideally, I don't want to block one of the AC vents (it gets HOT in Arizona!), and I don't want to block any of the stereo or nav controls, but still be able to run an AUX and USB cable from the passenger footwell area to the mount. The ideal mount is just a cradle that allows me to set my phone in it for wireless charging - not the magnetic one that requires that I put a metal plate on the back of the phone or case, since that impedes the ability to use wireless charging at home without removing it each time.

Thoughts? What's everyone else doing?
Old 10-24-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL550
Hello, I am new to the site and just purchased a 2008 GL550 two weeks ago. I was wondering the same thing as my phone is currently kept in the cup holder of top change tray. I did just find a Magnamount Auto-Charger Qi Wireless Fast Charging Mount that has magnetic mount about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and a DC cigarette lighter socket attached to it. Many times you will just find the vent mounted magnets however this one is interesting because it is on a swivel mount cigarette lighter mount. I literally juts bought it on clearance at Staples here in Charlotte NC. They had about 5 of these on clearance and one was in this socket mounted configuration. I have not even unpacked it from the packaging. I am happy to text you a picture of reply back with a picture for the forum. I am not even positive it will work and be stable but for 10 dollars I thought I would give it a try instead of blocking a vent. The manufacturer is Tzumi.Keep you posted. Chris
Old 10-24-2018, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Google Ram Mount X-Grip. It's available with a whole bunch of ways to mount to a vehicle - it's adjustable and holds phones very stable. These are used in some of the boats (the boats come with them from the factory) where I work part time. Ram makes very high quality products - take a look around at their other stuff, too - maybe something else would work even better.

Last edited by DennisG01; 10-24-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 4 matic
I have gone with Pro Clip in all my vehicles for the last few years. Works very well, mine is mounted on passenger side about parallel with the command unit.