GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Radio freezes up and then won't turn off even with key removed 2007 GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 2003 SLK320
Question Radio freezes up and then won't turn off even with key removed 2007 GL450

For the past couple of days my 2007 GL450 has had an issue where the radio continues to play whatever it is playing but the screens colors are a little off. Once that happens all controls on the radio are disabled. The radio screen still changes from daylight to night time colors as it gets darker, but we cannot change radio station, volume, music source, nothing. All buttons on the command console are disabled.

When we stop the car the radio keeps playing. The only way to turn it off yesterday was pull the fuse.

My wife drove the car today and had the same problem. It took me an hour to get to where she was and the radio was still playing. I had to pull the fuse again to get it to turn off. Next time she drove it the radio worked just fine and shut off fine when she stopped the car.

Is this a known issue? I tried searching and didn't come up with anything.

Is there an easy way to switch the radio over to a circuit that is not hot when the key is removed?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2021, 03:34 PM

2008 GL320
Did you find a resolution to this? i am having the same issue.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:38 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
This sounds like a circuit board problem on the HU (head unit).

Unless you know how to troubleshoot an ICB (integrated circuit board), you are probably better off getting another HU, or swap it out as a test.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:34 AM

gl450
I have no sound

Originally Posted by monacho
For the past couple of days my 2007 GL450 has had an issue where the radio continues to play whatever it is playing but the screens colors are a little off. Once that happens all controls on the radio are disabled. The radio screen still changes from daylight to night time colors as it gets darker, but we cannot change radio station, volume, music source, nothing. All buttons on the command console are disabled.

When we stop the car the radio keeps playing. The only way to turn it off yesterday was pull the fuse.

My wife drove the car today and had the same problem. It took me an hour to get to where she was and the radio was still playing. I had to pull the fuse again to get it to turn off. Next time she drove it the radio worked just fine and shut off fine when she stopped the car.

Is this a known issue? I tried searching and didn't come up with anything.

Is there an easy way to switch the radio over to a circuit that is not hot when the key is removed?

Thanks!
Where is the fuse on the gl450 for the radio? Thank you.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:56 AM

2008 GL320
Originally Posted by Breemania
Where is the fuse on the gl450 for the radio? Thank you.

it is in the fuse block in the back "trunk" on the passenger side.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2006 ML320 CDI (2 of) and 2008 GL320
I had the problem with a command head unit in a 2006 ml. It would lock on the head unit buttons but the steering wheel controls worked. I used to disconnect battery to reset it.

recently i took the head unit out and checked plugs. Actually swapped it into a 2008 gl temporarily and put it back in ml.

swapped the pucks over and now it is working fine. Been this way for six months so hopefully this reset in another car has fixed it