GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Interior and exterior cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:58 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Interior and exterior cleaning

What does everyone use to clean the interior of their GL? On the dash I had excellent results with the McGuires leather wipes. Excellent shine too. But haven't found anything that gives the leather a good clean and conditioning.

The center console around the cupholders (woodgrain) has some swirl marks. Anyone have any suggestions on removing those marks?

The woodgrain on the driver and passenger door has cracks. Are there any tricks to fix the cracks? They appear to be possible wear and stress cracks from heat.

Any suggestions for cleaning the air conditioner/heat ducts?

For exterior. Anyone have any suggestions? I've had success with the cheap foam cannons on Amazon. I have a white 2010 GL550 that came with the 21" AMG wheels and the front rims are usually caked with brake dust in a week. I'm very careful what I put on those wheels.

I see alot of reviews about The Chemical Guys and Adam's products.

I'm getting ready to do a clay bar, wax, and possible sealant before winter.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Yup497; 10-08-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL450 1995 BMW 325IS
For the exterior, after claying, I use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Easy to apply, looks great and lasts. Since it is a sealant, it takes 24 hours free from water to fully cure. I then apply a coat of Wolfgang Fuzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax to increase the gloss and shine. She looks great after both!

For the interior, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the dash and the door surfaces. I don't use leather conditioner/cleaner on the seat since they are MB Tech material, not leather. If you have leather, I would highly recommend Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Cleaner. They work great on my leather seats in my BMW.

Hope this helps. Happy Detailing!!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Originally Posted by pryz007
For the exterior, after claying, I use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Easy to apply, looks great and lasts. Since it is a sealant, it takes 24 hours free from water to fully cure. I then apply a coat of Wolfgang Fuzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax to increase the gloss and shine. She looks great after both!

For the interior, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the dash and the door surfaces. I don't use leather conditioner/cleaner on the seat since they are MB Tech material, not leather. If you have leather, I would highly recommend Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Cleaner. They work great on my leather seats in my BMW.

Hope this helps. Happy Detailing!!
Excellent! Thank you! I will look into these products!
Old 10-16-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
I use Lexol stuff on the interior. For the leather they have a cleaner and a conditioner and they also have a blue bottle (Vinylex?) for the plastic surfaces.

When I clean the leather I get a good sized bucket and fill it with clean water. I then take a cotton rag (MB specifically says not to use microfiber) and submerge it, then wring it out. I then spray the rag with a conservative amount of cleaner and wipe down every surface. I usually do one seat at a time. Once I've cleaned the seat I again submerge the rag in the bucket and wring it out in the clean water then wring it as dry as possible and wipe down the seat again to remove the cleaner. Sometimes I'll do this step twice.

Once it dries I apply the cleaner directly onto the leather and wipe it down. Again, I do this one seat at a time (and the dash/door cards.) After I finish, I then take another clean rag and wipe it all down again. If it's been a while since I conditioned it, I may let it sit overnight before the last wipe down.

Follow this procedure from new and the interior will stay looking like new. Mine looks fantastic in my 2012 with 65,000 miles.