GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Auto-Start Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 550
Auto-Start Options

I did some searching for old threads on here but wasn't coming up with much. So a vehicle with a $90,000 window sticker at the dealership I assumed would have auto start. However, I'm not thinking our 2009 GL550 does...unless I'm missing finding the information here on which button sequence to push on the key fob.

Short of a factory-installed option being present, what are others in colder climates using for aftermarket auto start on their rigs?
Old 10-30-2018, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
Remote Starter
https://www.midcityengineering.com/p...arter-sks164c/
Old 10-30-2018, 02:17 PM
bha

13 GL350, 14 SL550
I bought this for my 2007 GL and it works perfectly.

Installed it myself. The two units plug together, then there is a T harness that needs to be connected inline behind the ignition switch. Pull the radio, unplug the ignition switch, then install the harness between the exisitng cable and ignition switch.

Then a two wire cable needs to be run across the dash (under glove box) and to the back fuse panel of the car and plugged in. Hardest part of the whole install was removing radio and pulling all of the door sills to snake the wire to the trunk.

Probably took me 1.5 hours total

iDatastart ADS-BZ1 MB Plug and Play Remote Start
Drone Mobile DR-3400 (Compustar)

Can be installed without the Drone mobile part, but you can only start your car by clicking LOCK on the key 3x. With the Drone part (and associated subscription which was $150 for 3yrs) you can remote start / lock / unlock the car from anywhere!

Great when you are in the airport / mall / etc and want to start your truck from far away. My wife gets off the train every day to a car that has been sitting in freezing temps covered in snow and ice. By the time she gets there, it's warm, heated seats have automatically started, rear defrost has melted ice on the back, and heater is running full blast. Very nice to have for winter, but I have also used it on the killer hot summer days to run the AC for a few mins since my truck is black.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
How is this
Vs
SmartKey Starter SKS164C From MidCity?
Originally Posted by bha
I bought this for my 2007 GL and it works perfectly.

Installed it myself. The two units plug together, then there is a T harness that needs to be connected inline behind the ignition switch. Pull the radio, unplug the ignition switch, then install the harness between the exisitng cable and ignition switch.

Then a two wire cable needs to be run across the dash (under glove box) and to the back fuse panel of the car and plugged in. Hardest part of the whole install was removing radio and pulling all of the door sills to snake the wire to the trunk.

Probably took me 1.5 hours total

Drone Mobile DR-3400 (Compustar)

Can be installed without the Drone mobile part, but you can only start your car by clicking LOCK on the key 3x. With the Drone part (and associated subscription which was $150 for 3yrs) you can remote start / lock / unlock the car from anywhere!

Great when you are in the airport / mall / etc and want to start your truck from far away. My wife gets off the train every day to a car that has been sitting in freezing temps covered in snow and ice. By the time she gets there, it's warm, heated seats have automatically started, rear defrost has melted ice on the back, and heater is running full blast. Very nice to have for winter, but I have also used it on the killer hot summer days to run the AC for a few mins since my truck is black.