GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Airmatic puzzle solved!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL 450
Airmatic puzzle solved!

I know this subject has been beat to death, but I wanted to share an experience I had this week. For reference, I have a 2011 GL450 without Active Damping (system code 214) with 90,000 miles.

My front right air shock was leaking, but only in the lowered position due to the way the rubber folds when it's lowered. It held air fine in the raised position, which I did for several weeks until I could replace the airbag. I did that, and then the system wouldn't send air to that corner. I tried to blow air back into the line to make sure the line itself wasn't cracked (it wasn't), then disconnected it from the valve block to run air through to make sure it wasn't blocked (it wasn't). In fact, I disconnected the line from the shock while the system was running and never felt any air come through at all.

I had so many questions. It is possible that the valve block died while I drove the car in the raised position? That seemed like a horrible coincidence, but with this truck, I believed it. If it did die, why was it able to send air to the remaining 3 corners? Is there something else I've overlooked? Is there a computer trick the dealer/SDS needs to do?

I took a chance and ordered and replaced the valve block. It's the only thing that made sense to me. And it turns out my hunch was right. The Airmatic system works flawlessly now.

The reason I'm sharing this story is because every single reference I could find about the valve block had to do with leaks, not blockage. In my case, the valve to that corner was stuck closed, causing the system to go into malfunction when it tried to send air through the valve.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 482 Posts
2007 GL450
Mechanical systems have a nasty inclination to cascading problems. A sluggish starter drains the battery causes the voltage to dip on starting causes the system to shut down to protect itself. Leaking airbags make the pump work harder and the valve block switch on and off a lot.

This is why it is a good idea to keep on top of minor repairs. There are interdependencies you might not be aware of.