GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

What is the proper voltage for an O2 Sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
What is the proper voltage for an O2 Sensor?

I have a Scanner that can read live data. I am getting a P0432 error and I was told to check the O2 sensors first. Is there a way to read what they should be without just changing them in hopes that it fixes the issue?
Old 12-19-2018, 10:27 PM
EWT

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 07 Audi A4
The voltage from a properly functioning O2 sensor will swing back and forth very quickly in a range of roughly .3-.7V or so. You probably won't be able to tell if it is good or not by looking at the voltage on the scanner. https://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm has a good summary of how they work and what they do. The O2 sensor after the cat is what the OBDII system uses to tell if the cat is functioning properly and if the sensor isn't reacting properly, it may flag it as a cat problem.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 482 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Mikchek
I have a Scanner that can read live data. I am getting a P0432 error and I was told to check the O2 sensors first. Is there a way to read what they should be without just changing them in hopes that it fixes the issue?
I'll add to the very good answer you already got, below.
Originally Posted by EWT
The voltage from a properly functioning O2 sensor will swing back and forth very quickly in a range of roughly .3-.7V or so. You probably won't be able to tell if it is good or not by looking at the voltage on the scanner.https://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm has a good summary of how they work and what they do. The O2 sensor after the cat is what the OBDII system uses to tell if the cat is functioning properly and if the sensor isn't reacting properly, it may flag it as a cat problem.
Correct. The issue is "properly". The post cat sensors are "narrow band", meaning they jump between on and off. So if they jump between on and off in the right way, the system thinks everything is fine. The problem is, it's difficult to know whether the oxygen levels that trigger them are the right levels.
The downstream sensors are downstream from a lot of stuff: the cat, the upstream sensor, the exhaust valve, the combustion chamber, the spark plug, the intake valve, the fuel injector, the throttle body, and the MAF sensor. So what people usually should do, in the absence of other likely culprits, is fix things in the order of cost. Change the oxy sensors if they have 100k+ mi, clean the MAF sensor first. Plugs if > 100k mi. Upstream sensors if you can figure out how to get to them. Then maybe the cats.
Cats earlier if you aren't in Commiefornia or are willing to take a chance that the smog dude won't actually look under the car.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:10 PM

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
2013 W212 E350 RWD
Our cars don't have mass airflow sensors, they have manifold absolute pressure sensors
Old 06-20-2022, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 482 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by AllPhonesAretap
Our cars don't have mass airflow sensors,
Wrong

Originally Posted by AllPhonesAretap
they have manifold absolute pressure sensors
Right

but what does either of these have to do with the oxygen sensors?