Possible fix for bluetooth intermittent issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 GL550, 2016 C300, 2005 Mustang
Possible fix for bluetooth intermittent issues

Hello all,

I believe I may have found the issue(s) with the bluetooth dropping calls. Please note this may be just a phone specific or OS specific issue, but this worked for me.

Vehicle - 2012 GL550
Phone - Samsung s9
Problem- Phone disconnects and reconnects/ phone calls are intermittent

1st - Some phones (like the S9) have a smart lock feature. Android has an option for adding your bluetooth devices (MB radio) as a smart device after which your device will get unlocked automatically whenever that specific Bluetooth device is connected to your phone.

Open the ‘Settings’ app on your Galaxy S9.
After that head to ‘Lock Screen and Security’ and find ‘Smart Lock’.
Finally, tap on ‘Trusted Device’, and add your desired Bluetooth Devices.

2nd - This may have been the culprit all along. If you have your phone connected to two devices, your radio and in my case my Samsung gear watch, the phone will switch back and forth between the bluetooth devices. Once I turned off my watch, the radio never disconnected from my phone. I was able to make phone calls with no issues. I tested my theory by turning on my watch again and the problem started again.

Our radios are not updated with the latest bluetooth tech, so having 2 connected devices was causing the radio to constantly disconnect randomly.
I hope this helps others with the same problem, If you have an apple watch or any other device connected to your phone, turn it off! I'm glad this fixed the issue, I was hesitant on getting a new radio just for bluetooth.