MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   Auto headlights pet peeve (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/733408-auto-headlights-pet-peeve.html)

Iceytys 01-19-2019 03:39 PM

Auto headlights pet peeve

So I dont know if something is not set right or that’s just the way the Auto headlights work, but on my 2011 GL whether I have light position in Off or Auto, they still come on if it gets dark, go into a garage, etc. Kind of drives me up the wall, whats the point of having the “0” position if they are not going to give me a choice and come on regardless? Am I missing something here? :wall:

Does anyone know how to change/fix this?

Tirgoman 01-19-2019 03:56 PM

Maybe, if you are outside and the knob is in OFF and the headlights are ON then you need to make a trip to the dealer or troubleshoot it yourself. Maybe a broken headlight switch. If you have the Command system there is a setting to keep the headlights on for a certain period of time after the car is turned off and you exit. That will override the headlight switch.

savagepete 01-19-2019 05:14 PM

I never had an issue or seen anyone when position at 0 and their headlights still auto come on. Error in wiring?
Def an issue.

DennisG01 01-19-2019 05:31 PM

Are you sure you're not getting confused with your DRL's?

Absent of that, are you saying that if you're in your driveway with the switch set to "0" that the lights are off. Then when you pull into the garage, the lights come on? That's not right. I can turn my lights completely off in the middle of the night and they stay off.

rustybear3 01-19-2019 05:32 PM

My guess is a bad switch.

quron_southwest 01-19-2019 05:52 PM

Position "0" with DRLs set to ON in the instrument cluster is the same as postion "AUTO" on the headlamp switch. It's stupid IMO, but there's a 'safety reason' behind it. If you turn off the DRL function in the IC and switch the headlamp switch to "0" then all exterior lights stay off completely. Position "AUTO" still works as intended but no DRLs in bright ambient conditions. If you have a facelifted model the DRLs only turn on when the low beams turn on. Hope this helps.

Tirgoman 01-19-2019 08:07 PM

Cone think about it there could be a bad relay. First question, did this just start or has it been that way since 2011? If it just started then check the relay. The headlight switch doesn't actually supply power to the headlights, it powers a relay that supplies power to the headlights. The relay could be stuck. The contacts could be stuck closed. Could try tap it gently or just replace, they are cheap and just plug in. I think they're in the fuse panel. Get out the manual that body reads or the inside of the fuse panel cover should I'd it. Or the headlight switch has gone bad.

kombifan 01-19-2019 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tirgoman (Post 7658768)
Cone think about it there could be a bad relay. First question, did this just start or has it been that way since 2011? If it just started then check the relay. The headlight switch doesn't actually supply power to the headlights, it powers a relay that supplies power to the headlights. The relay could be stuck. The contacts could be stuck closed. Could try tap it gently or just replace, they are cheap and just plug in. I think they're in the fuse panel. Get out the manual that body reads or the inside of the fuse panel cover should I'd it. Or the headlight switch has gone bad.

At position 0 headlights still come on. Its to stop idiots from driving around with their lights off.
(It irritates me immensely more how many people drive around with lights off at night. So I'm happy with mb choice)

If it bothers you change the knob....😝
...to the parking lights

So at least from 2010 onwards

rich30769 02-10-2019 04:58 PM

I definitely need to check my relay, and or switch. I noticed today that no matter what time of day and with the switch in the "0" position, my headlights come on as soon as I start my truck. :wall:

DennisG01 02-10-2019 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7678107)
I definitely need to check my relay, and or switch. I noticed today that no matter what time of day and with the switch in the "0" position, my headlights come on as soon as I start my truck. :wall:

Originally Posted by DennisG01 (Post 7658667)
Are you sure you're not getting confused with your DRL's?
\

What setting do you have your DRL set at in the setup in the dash display info?

rich30769 02-10-2019 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by DennisG01 (Post 7678111)

I will check for that first chance that I get but, it didn't do that before and I haven't changed anything so, I find this to be weird. Maybe I did change it and just didn't realize it.

DennisG01 02-10-2019 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7678138)
I will check for that first chance that I get but, it didn't do that before and I haven't changed anything so, I find this to be weird. Maybe I did change it and just didn't realize it.

Oh, I see. It wasn't clear from your first post. I guess check it just to be sure, but yeah, it'd be odd for it change by itself. Maybe a battery change could have reset it - I dunno.

rich30769 02-10-2019 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DennisG01 (Post 7678226)
Oh, I see. It wasn't clear from your first post. I guess check it just to be sure, but yeah, it'd be odd for it change by itself. Maybe a battery change coudl of reset it - I dunno.

I did just disconnect the battery in order to reset the clock. That could have possibly done it.

eric_in_sd 02-10-2019 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by quron_southwest (Post 7658686)
Position "0" with DRLs set to ON in the instrument cluster is the same as postion "AUTO" on the headlamp switch.

Only partially correct. This only applies to the headlights. The other bulbs do not go perma-on.

rich30769 02-11-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by DennisG01 (Post 7678226)
Oh, I see. It wasn't clear from your first post. I guess check it just to be sure, but yeah, it'd be odd for it change by itself. Maybe a battery change coudl of reset it - I dunno.

Problem solved, had to change it back in the dash settings, then decided to leave it on constant anyway. :nix:

DennisG01 02-11-2019 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7678524)
Problem solved, had to change it back in the dash settings, then decided to leave it on constant anyway. :nix:

At least that was a "freebie" fix!

Iceytys 02-11-2019 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by DennisG01 (Post 7678111)

DRL is set to On. If I turn them to off the LED units dont turn on....so assume it's the proper setting

WinterPark321 02-11-2019 06:20 PM

Yea weird. Mine are like that too. Mercedes Benz 2011 GL550. I leave the DRLs "On" in the dash/speedometer cluster portion. If I try to turn the headlights off when I'm in a dark location, they stay on, even at the "0" portion.

DennisG01 02-11-2019 07:42 PM

Have any of you guys checked the manual to see if there's a way to turn them off (again, mine is a '08, but they stay off if I want them to)? Maybe some sort of switch-turning combination?

kombifan 02-11-2019 08:19 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0ee71fd412.png

Originally Posted by Tek.To (Post 7679057)
Yea weird. Mine are like that too. Mercedes Benz 2011 GL550. I leave the DRLs "On" in the dash/speedometer cluster portion. If I try to turn the headlights off when I'm in a dark location, they stay on, even at the "0" portion.

yep.

It says they tuen off if you engage the park brake. Have yet to try that.

DennisG01 02-11-2019 10:15 PM

It appears there are different "rules" the car follows depending on whether it was originally sold in Canada or the US, as well.