MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   ECU coding with SDS? (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/734916-ecu-coding-sds.html)

quron_southwest 02-04-2019 07:04 AM

ECU coding with SDS?

Hello all!
Straight to the point, I want to get a backup used ECU from eBay with matching part numbers. I’m aware that the ECU has to be coded with my VIN? How do I do this? If anyone is familiar with this, advice would be thankfully appreciated! Thanks in advance!

machadosl 02-04-2019 08:08 AM

You should find someone that can reprogram the ECU. I have this done in my car and the ECU and ignition switch as the keys had to be sent to the guy that made the reprogramming to make them "talk".
Unfortunately Star Diagnosis can't do that, it is a little more complicated.

quron_southwest 02-05-2019 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by machadosl (Post 7672256)
You should find someone that can reprogram the ECU. I have this done in my car and the ECU and ignition switch as the keys had to be sent to the guy that made the reprogramming to make them "talk".
Unfortunately Star Diagnosis can't do that, it is a little more complicated.

Do you think the dealer would do this?

machadosl 02-05-2019 04:17 AM

Here in Brazil and as I know also in Germany, they refuse to do that using the ECU from another car, they only accept if you buy a new one with them. They claim that could be the part from a stolen car.

BlownV8 02-05-2019 06:29 AM

Check with Eurocharged or OE Tuning. I believe they have the capability to create a duplicate with whatever tune or lack there of you need.

quron_southwest 02-06-2019 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by BlownV8 (Post 7673082)
Check with Eurocharged or OE Tuning. I believe they have the capability to create a duplicate with whatever tune or lack there of you need.

Oh I don’t even know why I didn’t think of them. I’ll check with them tomorrow and hopefully either one of them do. Thanks for this!

quron_southwest 02-06-2019 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by machadosl (Post 7673056)
Here in Brazil and as I know also in Germany, they refuse to do that using the ECU from another car, they only accept if you buy a new one with them. They claim that could be the part from a stolen car.

Ehh. That makes sense. Can’t argue with that.

MBENZTECH 02-06-2019 05:19 PM

It's not that the dealer refuses to program a used control module....... They can't. Once you install an engine module into a car it will lock itself to that VIN key data. Special equipment and software is needed to virginize the module and then install into another vehicle.

quron_southwest 02-06-2019 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MBENZTECH (Post 7674662)
It's not that the dealer refuses to program a used control module....... They can't. Once you install an engine module into a car it will lock itself to that VIN key data. Special equipment and software is needed to virginize the module and then install into another vehicle.

Ohhhh. Thanks for this advice. Do you think a tuner can do this?

BlownV8 02-06-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by quron_southwest (Post 7674683)

Ohhhh. Thanks for this advice. Do you think a tuner can do this?

Yes, there are some on this board that have a backup ECU so it can be done. It was a conversation on the 212 E63 section for someone trying to hide the tune from the stock ECU. From what I read, there are other locations that store the information so MB can still see if a tune was ever run on the car.

quron_southwest 02-06-2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8 (Post 7674736)
Yes, there are some on this board that have a backup ECU so it can be done. It was a conversation on the 212 E63 section for someone trying to hide the tune from the stock ECU. From what I read, there are other locations that store the information so MB can still see if a tune was ever run on the car.

Hopefully this can be done on a used ECU and they can virginize it. What do you think?