GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL 320 Cdi ran fine then spluttered, shut off, starts sometimes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl320 cdi
GL 320 Cdi ran fine then spluttered, shut off, starts sometimes

I drove for about 30 min the other day with no issue, stopped at a stop sign, when I tried accelerating it sort of jerked around, like it wasn’t getting enough fuel and then shut off after about 30 yards. I tried starting it, cranked then stopped. I opened the hood looked around, banged on the fuel filter then tried restarting it. It started went about 300 yards before jerking and shutting off. I was able to coast into my driveway.

Tonight it started right up. I left it run for about an hour and it shut off and won’t start. I’m guessing it’s fuel related, but seems weird that it’s getting some fuel sometimes.

No check engine light or anything like that.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Have the rail fuel pressure tested correctly.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by Josh Eisenhower
I drove for about 30 min the other day with no issue, stopped at a stop sign, when I tried accelerating it sort of jerked around, like it wasn’t getting enough fuel and then shut off after about 30 yards. I tried starting it, cranked then stopped. I opened the hood looked around, banged on the fuel filter then tried restarting it. It started went about 300 yards before jerking and shutting off. I was able to coast into my driveway.

Tonight it started right up. I left it run for about an hour and it shut off and won’t start. I’m guessing it’s fuel related, but seems weird that it’s getting some fuel sometimes.

No check engine light or anything like that.
How long has it been since the fuel filter was changed - this is ususally the easiest place to start to chase down a fuel related issue. A dirty fuel filter can happen at any time and if you haven't owned the car since new you have NO IDEA where most of the fuel was purchased.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl320 cdi
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
How long has it been since the fuel filter was changed - this is ususally the easiest place to start to chase down a fuel related issue. A dirty fuel filter can happen at any time and if you haven't owned the car since new you have NO IDEA where most of the fuel was purchased.
thats a good point, I’ll start there. I’ve been searching and found a few articles on the rely causing non communication with the cdi when hot.
I changed the fuel filter about 8k miles ago. I’ve had 2 e300D and I could always tell when they needed the fuel filter and pre filter changed. The GL’s are a bigger pain in the rear, but I guess I should stop being lazy and change it.

I bought an advanced obd2 for Benz’s I don’t think it’s the star diagnostics but it lets me look at the data streams from different systems. Says electrical fuel pump is off...
Old 02-19-2019, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Fuel pump relay is a distinct possibility. They fail.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Josh - If you changed the fuel filter about 8k mi ago that is more info than I had before. Makes a dirty fuel filter less likely (although I had to have the tank cleaned on one of my cars because some crud which was deposited on the inside of the tank decided to suddenly come loose and plugged the filter badly).
Next best bet is to make sure the electric fuel pump in the tank is running as designed. Wiring, pump motor, relay etc are all suspect.