GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

What's up with the outboard lights (right and left of fog lights)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 E320
What's up with the outboard lights (right and left of fog lights)?

Purchased a 2011 MB GL450 with 73k miles. I notice that I have two lights below the headlight assembly. The inboard lights are fog lights. The outboard lights are apparently some type of driving light (but I am not certain)? The online owner's manual does not have any diagram or illustration depicting these lights, Or how to activate them. I have tried 'googling' to figure out what they are, or how to turn them on. Are these one of those 'options' where the hardware is included with the model, but you had to pay extra to have activation included?

I will appreciate and help in directing me to where I can find some answers.

Last edited by DH96_e320; 02-24-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by DH96_e320
Purchased a 2011 MB GL450 with 73k miles. I notice that I have two lights below the headlight assembly. The inboard lights are fog lights. The outboard lights are apparently some type of driving light (but I am not certain)? The online owner's manual does not have any diagram or illustration depicting these lights, Or how to activate them. I have tried 'googling' to figure out what they are, or how to turn them on. Are these one of those 'options' where the hardware is included with the model, but you had to pay extra to have activation included?

I will appreciate and help in directing me to where I can find some answers.
do you mean the turn signal?

cAn you take a picture of what you are referring to
Old 02-24-2019, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The lights are daytime running lights (DRL). I imagine they only (and automatically) illuminate when motor is running and your main headlights are off.

If you had HID main lighting,there would be a strip of LEDs for DRLs and there would be no fog lights, as HID are considered all you need in fog. Yours is the standard configuration when main lights are halogen.

And surely the answers are in your owners manual.

Last edited by lkchris; 02-24-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:49 PM

1996 E320
Originally Posted by kombifan

do you mean the turn signal?

cAn you take a picture of what you are referring to
Okay. Now i know they are DRL's (from another respondent). I attached a photo to confirm.

​​

Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 PM

1996 E320
Originally Posted by lkchris
The lights are daytime running lights (DRL). I imagine they only (and automatically) illuminate when motor is running and your main headlights are off.

If you had HID main lighting,there would be a strip of LEDs for DRLs and there would be no fog lights, as HID are considered all you need in fog. Yours is the standard configuration when main lights are halogen.

And surely the answers are in your owners manual.
I found instructions for the instrument display and how to activate DRL (which was defaulted to off). I chang​​​​ed the DRL option to 'on', but only the headlights, front parking lights, and tail lights go on, not these lower outboard lights.
BTW: The online owner's manual only describes what DRL do(like 'duh'), not where they are located.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by DH96_e320
I found instructions for the instrument display and how to activate DRL (which was defaulted to off). I chang​​​​ed the DRL option to 'on', but only the headlights, front parking lights, and tail lights go on, not these lower outboard lights.
BTW: The online owner's manual only describes what DRL do(like 'duh'), not where they are located.
if the taillights go on then the drls will not.

The headlighrs have have to be off for them to turn on. Try Tom morning in daylight.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:36 PM

1996 E320
Originally Posted by kombifan

if the taillights go on then the drls will not.

The headlighrs have have to be off for them to turn on. Try Tom morning in daylight.
Thank you for that added information. Further reading led me to find a note regardin the intensity of outdoor light with cause the headlights to go off but the DRLs to activate.

one other thing I found digging through the online manual was the appaerent ability to adjust the interior ambient light intensity. However, my GL450's Settings>Lighting>Interior menu does not have that setting, so I assume it was probably an optional package that my GL did not include.

Thanks again.