GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Front Passenger Side Power Port and Media Interface

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL450
Front Passenger Side Power Port and Media Interface

I have a 2009 GL450 with the Harmon Kardon system and the media interface in the glove box. Vehicle has keyless go. The front power port on the passenger side sometimes stays on when the ignition is turned off and sometimes stays on. I cannot figure out any pattern to determine why. The device connected to the media interface in the glove box will also get power sometimes and not other times. Sometimes one will stay on, sometimes the other and sometime both. The media interface will at times not have any power even when the car is running though. The power port always has power when the ignition is on.

Any ideas what may be causing either of these issues or is this normal behavior? I checked all fuses and they are all good and fully seated. I would love to have the front power port only be on when the vehicle accessory power is on. I would also love to have the media interface power on and off with the accessory power. Any thoughts on if this is possible without some rewiring?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2019, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The CANBus features a delayed shutoff for lots of power consumers. You won’t run your battery down for sure.

The fact I can plug my cool box into this port and have it not shut off while refueling, but indeed shut off if I leave it plugged in over night is a cool feature.

Last edited by lkchris; 03-09-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL450
Thanks for the quick reply. There are two separate things I am trying to figure out.

First, why does the media interface provide power power intermittently even when the vehicle is running There does not seem to be any pattern to when it does and when it does not. At times it stays on even after the accessory power of the vehicle is turned off and then does not come on when the vehicle is running. What is normal for other owners? Is it supposed to stay on all the time or only when the accessory power on the vehicle is powered up?

Second, I am using a dash mounted GPS unit that I would like to power off when the accessory power goes off. I know I could use the cig adapter in the center console drawer but use the cup holders regularly and having the drawer open can be in the way. I know the passenger side power port does turn off at times, I just cannot determine what causes it to turn off versus staying on.

Thanks!
Craig
Old 03-10-2019, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I think it’s just a timer, but also suspect low voltage would accomplish that too.

You can leave your doors or tailgate open, and the lights will eventually go out too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

Last edited by lkchris; 03-10-2019 at 07:59 PM.