GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Upgrade 2012 GL450 sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 10:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 ML350
Upgrade 2012 GL450 sound

Hi, I have a 2012 GL450 kept in good condition that just got out of extended warranty. It has standard factory sound system not HK system. The high and mid are good but base is horrible, muddy and heavy, even on lowest base setting. I am thinking of looking into upgrading the system but not sure if anyone could recommend system to upgrade to. Should I upgrade the main center console and/or all speakers? Thank you in advance.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013-Mercedes-BENZ S550-AMG SPORT RWD||2011 MERCEDES GL-450 4MATIC
Originally Posted by evan8
Hi, I have a 2012 GL450 kept in good condition that just got out of extended warranty. It has standard factory sound system not HK system. The high and mid are good but base is horrible, muddy and heavy, even on lowest base setting. I am thinking of looking into upgrading the system but not sure if anyone could recommend system to upgrade to. Should I upgrade the main center console and/or all speakers? Thank you in advance.
Hey Evan...Still Looking For Help With The Audio Sound System On Your 2012 GL450?

I just bought a 2011 GL450

2011 GL450

OK SO HERE IS WHAT IM DOING...
I'm keeping the factory stereo head unit and factory amplifier and just running a line out converter I prefer a higher-end if you want to spend some money on a sound system and you wanted to sound good and not just be muddy deep rattling bass, I would suggest AudioControl lc2i or if your budget calls for a little bit higher and you're just looking to add subwoofers and keep your stock interior speakers as is.
Which is actually what I'm doing.. my interior sound sounds great I have 13 speakers surround but just not enough bump and thump. I've been installing car audio for about eight years now and I also do custom design and graphics and Lighting but for this car I am acting like a rookie because I don't want to make a mistake LOL. So to sum it up keeping interior speakers Factory adding a line out converter from the factory amplifier just dropping a simple left and right plus and minus from the rear speakers into the line out converter and then connecting an amplifier and two subwoofers with all of it put together let me show you what it looks like and then if you have any questions let me know...

ALPINE TYPE-R SWR-12D4 Down To 1-Ohm Out Ported Enclosure For Maximum Impact & Optimal BASS Reference. Especially Since GL450-550 Interior Cubic Space Is Ultimately Allready Shaped Like A Sub Box This Thing Is Gonna Shake Some Windows! 🤣🤣🤣😎😎😎🔉🔊🔉🔊💣💥💣💥 🎛🎛🎛🎛
The following users liked this post:
evan8 (07-03-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 08:58 PM

Are you thinking of upgrading to aftermarket amplifier subwoofer speakers and head unit or what exactly is your budget and how much are you wanting to do cuz you could just replace the interior speakers and leave the factory amplifier and the factory head unit stock but keep in mind it may improve the sound but not significantly because Factory amplifiers are usually not able to produce the frequencies especially lower bass frequencies the way you expect them to on a new set of speakers no matter how nice of a set of speakers you get it's the factory amplifier that can't match the output and Clarity you're looking for so just let me know what you're looking to do and maybe I can help I'm in the process of putting that system in this GL450 2011 but it's proven quite rather difficult finding official wiring diagram schematics because I'm wanting to run a line out converter in the back rather than running wiring all the way through to the head unit anyway let me know brotha.
evan8 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:57 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 GL550 | 2020 S560

I purchased this and my buddy at Best Buy had it installed in about an hour.

It has a built in amp and Harmon Kardon makes JBL speakers.

I didn't want to rattle windows, i just wanted good sound and this did it.

If the bass is up, you will definitely rattle windows.
evan8 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 ML350
Thank you Eddy, Yup497 for your inputs! They are very helpful. I will take your suggestions into consideration. FYI. Since I am using my cell to play FLAC since don't want new headsup unit, I am working on apps that can do DSP rather than hardware. So far it is doing pretty well. Probably not as well as the hardware but I probably will keep the car for a couple of years anyway. Thanks again!
Yup497 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 12:25 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Thank you Eddy, Yup497 for your inputs! They are very helpful. I will take your suggestions into consideration. FYI. Since I am using my cell to play FLAC since don't want new headsup unit, I am working on apps that can do DSP rather than hardware. So far it is doing pretty well. Probably not as well as the hardware but I probably will keep the car for a couple of years anyway. Thanks again!

Everything on my GL550 is factory, head unit and speakers. Only thing that was removed was the back subwoofer thats inside a compart in the cargo area.

Though our factory head units are very outdated compared to other vehicles, it will do.

Let us know what your final set up is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yup497:
EDDYGAGE (07-09-2019), evan8 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Cool 2011 GL450 (X164) AfterMarket Audio Amp Sub Upgrade Alpine+JL Audio LOC Wiring w/PICS

OK I WILL POST ALL OF IT STEP BY STEP HERE in the Next Few Days..Just Bare With ME!.
I sincerely Hope that THIS POST & THREAD Makes it simpler & direct for all who are looking for a way of understanding the dynamics of simply Dropping a Line for aftermarket subwoofers WITHOUT DIRECTLY Altering OEM Factory SetUp System. So For all those who are wondering where to start, or how to, step by step, or just need a pic or 2 for verification,ETC. If You Have Any Questions....Please Be Patient & I WILL TRY TO RESPOND OR REPLY ASAP.

OK, I Researched The Net Rigorously & Came Up EMPTY!LOL..Like Various Search Engines Images Blogs Threads Manuals ALL OF IT.... THE ENTIRE GLOBE...I Lived In Germany..(Friedrichshafen) for 6 years and speak german and went on their blogs too needing a simple wiring color coded speaker wiring diagram schematic for 2011 GL450 AND COULDN'T FIND ONE FOR THE LIFE OF ME!...STIL NOTTHIINNNGGG!!!!!!! ARRRGGHHHH..>>LMAO!!! So Anywayz, Me Being a bit more advanced then First Time DIY Guys, I Said F%$# It I Just chose to Carefully Remove the rear door panels & Run The Rear Door Bottom Main speaker Wire to Use As The line Out Converter Signal Directly rather then from the trunk or factory amp wiring or behind the head unit...(As ALL THAT Sounded Like Too Much Wire Running, Carpet Ripping, Seat Removing, ETC Wire Hiding & Labor)

So I am a bit more Advanced+ Home/Car Audio Installer & Designer and still kicked my *** lol but yeah just a heads up GO AT YOUR OWN RISK...SO IF YOU DECIDE TO DO ANY OF THIS...Be Ready 2 Run Into Some MB Workaround Difficulty Type Troubleshooting & Problems PLUS MB Type Cost $$$

#ON A LAST STEP----I WILL BE BACK TO UPDATE WITH EVERYTHING & PICS ETC<

(#MB Sound Upgrade GL450 OEM Audio Aftermarket Sound System Wiring Diagram Stereo Schematics Line Out Signal Converter Color Coded Speaker Wiring ETC)
Attached Thumbnails Upgrade 2012 GL450 sound-bizcardeg.jpg  
evan8 (07-09-2019)