GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Valvoline Premium Blue Restore in the 350's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350
Valvoline Premium Blue Restore in the 350's

Anyone have any thoughts on using Valvoline Premium Blue Restore in the 350's, at least 1 OCI per year to help reduce any carbon build up due to inefficient EGR systems?
Valvoline™ Premium Blue Restore™ is a service lubricant using special base oils and additives designed to help reduce oil consumption related to piston deposits. Can potentially reduce lubricating oil consumption rates on engines outside of the warranty or extended coverage period by removing carbon deposits from pistons, piston ring lands and other engine components. The dissolved carbon enables the first and second piston rings to move freely restoring oil control.

I am getting ready to perform the DPF/EGR/SCR/DEF delete work and thought it might be worthwhile to address any internal carbon build up already created by a faulty system.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:23 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
My research says that this is a special forumulation for Cummins engines to treat a problem with carbon buildup on the piston rings of their newer engines Whether it helps with the OM642 is big question since I believe most of what I've seen on our engines is gunked up intakes. At $73/gallon it's not too big an investment.

I'm just glad that you asked, because I also checked out Valvolines web site and found that they now have a 15W 40 diesel oil that is safe for DPFs. I've been looking for a heavier weight oil for summer and that should fit the bill nicely.