GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Please help identify "loose" connection under GL320 bluetec hood.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C350
Please help identify "loose" connection under GL320 bluetec hood.

Hey guys,
I'm having a BRUTAL time starting up my GL320, even in 60 degree weather. Though I doubt it has anything to do with this cable, I REALLY hope it is something this simple, otherwise I think my glow plugs may be going bad.

Thank you all very much in advance for any attempt and helping me identify this thing, as my online searching has been unfruitful and the nearest dealership is about an hour away.

Take Care,
Mike

Old 04-01-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Your sig says you have a '08 C350. Your post says you are having a bad time starting your GL320. With no other information (and I have no idea what the picture of the connector is for) you question cannot possibly be answered. Diesel? gas? year? - if not '08?
It is always helpful to know where you are located. Posters from Estonia are likely to get answered by a different group of forum members than those from Florida. The reference to deg F makes me guess the USA but that is not at all certain and even then the dealer I might recommend in Seattle may not be possible if you live in Dallas, Texas.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:42 PM

'08 C350
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
Your sig says you have a '08 C350. Your post says you are having a bad time starting your GL320. With no other information (and I have no idea what the picture of the connector is for) you question cannot possibly be answered. Diesel? gas? year? - if not '08?
It is always helpful to know where you are located. Posters from Estonia are likely to get answered by a different group of forum members than those from Florida. The reference to deg F makes me guess the USA but that is not at all certain and even then the dealer I might recommend in Seattle may not be possible if you live in Dallas, Texas.
Hey FourDiesel, sorry, I should've been more specific. I also have a C350 but this message is in reference to my GL320 Bluetec. It's a 2009 Bluetec(diesel-"glow plugs") with the OM642 engine. I love in Oklahoma and as I said, and am nearly an hour away from my dealer, so I don't need a recommended dealer, as much as I was really just looking for someone with either off-hand knowledge of the OM642 or had a link to some sort of electrical wiring PDF or another reference that I could use to look this up. I spent 20 minutes under there prodding around and just couldn't find anything other connectors that looked unplugged.

Thanks for your recommendation of posting further details. To be honest, I'm not quite sure that they change anything, but who knows.

Mike
Old 04-02-2019, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by MoneyMike23
Hey FourDiesel, sorry, I should've been more specific. I also have a C350 but this message is in reference to my GL320 Bluetec. It's a 2009 Bluetec(diesel-"glow plugs") with the OM642 engine. I love in Oklahoma and as I said, and am nearly an hour away from my dealer, so I don't need a recommended dealer, as much as I was really just looking for someone with either off-hand knowledge of the OM642 or had a link to some sort of electrical wiring PDF or another reference that I could use to look this up. I spent 20 minutes under there prodding around and just couldn't find anything other connectors that looked unplugged.

Thanks for your recommendation of posting further details. To be honest, I'm not quite sure that they change anything, but who knows.

Mike
You'll get more specific information if you try posting again in the diesel forum.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
The controller for the glow plugs is on the front, passenger side of the engine. Look there for the black box and look to see if anything is not connected. I would 'assume' that any connector would go directly to it, as opposed to using an extension cable from your 'unused' connector to the controller... but who knows.

Are you getting any codes or warning lights on the dash?

What does 'brutal' mean? Slow to crank?
Old 04-02-2019, 12:10 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
going on memory (dont have one in front of me now) that connector looks like one of the two mafs located one on each side in the plastic y-intake manifold on top (pictured). it could also be the connector to the water sensor in the oil filter.

glow plugs will not throw errors normally.neither would the plug controller. if starting is hard i would look into plug controller. try the following - start truck, but dont crank the engine (accessories on "two" foot off the brake). wait 10 seconds. turn off. start truck normally- did it start easier? plug controller is bad. made no difference? most likely not your controller

Last edited by alx; 04-02-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Obviously this harness will reach to the connector it connects to. There won’t be more than one compatible connector within reach.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 gl320
I just checked on my 2009 gl320 ,and can confirm I have that same connector loose as well. Not connected to anything.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:35 PM

'08 C350
Originally Posted by DennisG01

Are you getting any codes or warning lights on the dash?

What does 'brutal' mean? Slow to crank?
Before, my battery light was on, but that started the moment I put a new battery in there. Don't know why, I hooked everything back up correctly??? It would crank normally, just never turn over. I thought maybe it was fuel but there was never any lag or stuttering while driving it idling, if I could get her to start, she'd run fine but now, the check engine light is on, and today when I tried to start it, it doesn't even try, like the computer is telling it not to???
Thanks

Originally Posted by alx
try the following - start truck, but dont crank the engine (accessories on "two" foot off the brake). wait 10 seconds. turn off. start truck normally- did it start easier? plug controller is bad. made no difference? most likely not your controller
I had tried this and it didn't work for whatever my issue is, great recommendation though, thanks.

Originally Posted by edvaru
I just checked on my 2009 gl320 ,and can confirm I have that same connector loose as well. Not connected to anything.
Yeah... Sent the pictures to my dealer and he said that it's something that's only used on another vehicle (as in when our motor is out in another chassis).
Thank you VERY MUCH, for going through the effort of checking it on yours, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again all,
Think I may have to head on over to the diesel forum recommended earlier and see if there's a way for me to troubleshoot this beast without having it towed 70 miles to my dealer.

Take Care,
Mike
Old 04-03-2019, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by MoneyMike23
Before, my battery light was on, but that started the moment I put a new battery in there. Don't know why, I hooked everything back up correctly??? It would crank normally, just never turn over. I thought maybe it was fuel but there was never any lag or stuttering while driving it idling, if I could get her to start, she'd run fine but now, the check engine light is on, and today when I tried to start it, it doesn't even try, like the computer is telling it not to???
Thanks
So now the battery light is NOT on?

Can you get the code read to get a start in the right direction?

What do you mean "doesn't even try"? Doesn't crank at all?

FYI, just for reference... "turning over" is the same as "cranking". If an engine doesn't "turn over" then it is locked up or the battery is dead, for example.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:52 PM

'08 C350
So now the battery light is NOT on?

Can you get the code read to get a start in the right direction?

What do you mean "doesn't even try"? Doesn't crank at all?

FYI, just for reference... "turning over" is the same as "cranking". If an engine doesn't "turn over" then it is locked up or the battery is dead, for example.
Thanks, lol, I thought turning over was actually starting.

So the battery light isn't on anymore, but it still won't start. I looked online to try to find it how to get codes, but couldn't find a way to do it without the OBD2 device (sux. on my bike, I could get codes with just a paperclip) so I'm getting a rental car and will go to the auto store to buy one tonight or tomorrow. If they don't have one, I'll have to grab one off eBay.

The battery is GTG, and today it let me try to start it, but after a few attempts, I'll turn the key and "it won't try", meaning that it won't crank at all, just silence.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 04-04-2019, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
A regular, run of the mill, code reader may not work. It will only read certain codes - but maybe you'll get lucky. The MB system is much more advanced. If not, you'll need to find a more advanced model -- search here and google for that -- I know it's been talked about and you might find a good recommendation, short of buying a very expensive system.

Try jumping it - see what happens - just to rule out a bad battery.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 PM

'08 C350
A regular, run of the mill, code reader may not work. It will only read certain codes - but maybe you'll get lucky. The MB system is much more advanced. If not, you'll need to find a more advanced model -- search here and google for that -- I know it's been talked about and you might find a good recommendation, short of buying a very expensive system.

Try jumping it - see what happens - just to rule out a bad battery.
Oh my goodness!!!
Took the GL to the autoparts store (started with ether, shame on me I know) and had them hook it up to their scanner. WOW! It was like I went to the doctor for a routine check-up to find that I had 3 fatal conditions, and need to start taking weekly prostate exams!
Got codes 2202, 0670, 2506, 2201, 042b, and 203d!!!

I'll hit Google later on this evening to see which of these is most likely to be the culprit.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:09 PM

'08 C350
P0670 is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for "Glow Plug Module Control Circuit".

As I suspected. Gonna do some more web surfing and figure out the most financially sound method of troubleshooting this beast. When it's all sorted, I'll make a new thread to help others that may come across it down the road.