GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Rear taillift problems.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 gl320
Rear taillift problems.

Hi I have a 2008 x164 and recently any time a door is opened or closed the tail door opens. I’m thinking it’s the rear Sam but wanted to know if there is anything else might cause it. Have reset it through snap on solus a few times.
Also it said the backup battery was faulty would this have any bearing on my problem?
thanks in advance Martin.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by Marty71
Hi I have a 2008 x164 and recently any time a door is opened or closed the tail door opens. I’m thinking it’s the rear Sam but wanted to know if there is anything else might cause it. Have reset it through snap on solus a few times.
Also it said the backup battery was faulty would this have any bearing on my problem?
thanks in advance Martin.
Do you mean the auxiliary battery? That controls the transmission.

Have uou you checked for water intrusion around the rear Sam?

It it might just be your lock actuator has failed and any disturbance is causing it to let go.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:02 PM

2008 gl320
Yes I have and there was some water there alright seemed to be coming down the rear pillar.i wasnt having rear door probldoor problem at this stage it was more lights staying on and running down the battery..anyway i took the Sam apart and cleaned and dried it .there was a bit of corrosion on it but was fine after doing this. It was about 4 weeks after that the door started opening.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:40 AM

2008 gl320
Sorted

Hi.finally sorted but still have another issue.firstly the water intrusion at rear pillar down to rear sam.stripped out completely as I found 3 inches of water by battery. Found that the water was getting In under the perspex roof at the back and running down the inside of both the rear right pillar and the pillar in front of it.the back pillar was dripping onto sam and the other pillar was channeling the water under the carpet to the well around the battery. The carpets weren't even wet but every morning I had lots of condensation.
I dont have an opening sun roof and this was bonded in like a windscreen. So took off roofrails and tiger sealed all around this and this stopped the water intrusion everywhere.
I had to remove the rear sam front sam and the gearbox ecu as all of these were wet. Dried them out at home and reassembled. Perfect except the fact that when I now start from cold the dash says dont change gear and visit workshop plus it stays in park for between 10 and 30 min. Then the beeping stops but drives like nothing wrong. No other issues.
My snap on diagnostic says communication fault with intelligent servo module. I have checked wiring to this and is normal up to connector at front right strut top. I dont think it's the ism as it's perfect when it warms up. The only bit of corrosion was at that gearbox ecu where the water was in the wiring plug so cleaned this. Also replaced aux battery in case it was bad and not letting me move till it had charged up for that warm up period in morning. There is no communication with the ism untill that warm up period is done. My question is is there a relay that turns on this ism or is it controlled by the front sam. I have no access to wiring diagrams if anyone had I'd much appreciate it. I will put up a pic of the stripping involved to find water leak as it took two days to reassemble.thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:16 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by Marty71
So took off roofrails and tiger sealed all around this and this stopped the water intrusion everywhere.
Can you provide details on the process to remove the roof rails (not the cross bars, but the roof rails themselves [which go from front to back, not left to right], right?)?

The way you mention it in passing makes it sound like a simple task; however, as I understand it, it requires the removal of the headliner to access the bolts from inside the vehicle... and its an ugly, tedious job as per the following thread: Urgent question regarding Roof Rails removal/installation

Much appreciated.

Last edited by Miguk_Saram; 11-22-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:32 AM

2008 gl320
Hi. I wi do over weekend just at work and busy today. It's TRUE that the job is intimidating but once you get at it it's not too bad.