GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

NO CRANKING AFTER NEW FUSE BOX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML63 AMG
NO CRANKING AFTER NEW FUSE BOX

I just installed a used a front fuse/relay box. I had a short on the previous one, short was caused by placing a relay on the wrong spot. The problem that I am having is that the starter relay is not engaging when I crank the engine but oddly enough the relay next to it clicks which would be relay H if I recall correctly. it seems like a theft system or something like that. checked all fuses and relays they are all good, voltage at the fuses with the key in 2 position all good. dashboard lights. tranny shifts. checked fuses on the battery. on the dashboard and rear fuse box . The EIS was working. haven't had a single issue with the EIS before changing the fuse box. the starter cranks if I bridge the relay. but the truck does not start. Battery voltage is 11.9.
Ran out of ideas. have been reading for the last 2 days on different forums and so far none of the tests performed have pointed me on the right direction. I would appreciate if somebody could help me with their knowledge.

thank you. .
Old 09-15-2019, 07:28 PM

2009 ML63 AMG
checked the fuse box again today, its working. disassembled it and tested pin by pin and they link to some other contact, I realized that the relay it not getting signal, I know this because I had a friend crank the engine while my hand was on the relay/fuse box and fet the relay next to the starter click.according to the diagram this realy if for circuit 15. now the question would be what sends the signal to the relay after you crank? please help me reverser engineer this. it goes from the EIS to where? engine fuse box? does it go through the ECM, could the ECM be bad? does it go through the front sam?? a blown fuse somewhere else? something is preventing the engine from cranking and when I jump the relay, it does not run, it only cranks, starter is good, fuses are all good relays also, you could hear the fuel pump active, also tested the EIS fuse on the dashboard. and all the other fuses, also checked the rear fuses. and the ones that were visible on the battery compartment. if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:40 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2007 GL450 , 2012 BMW 528i
I could offer couple of thoughts. I am sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.
1) Battery voltage - 11.9 seems very low. These modern vehicles are very sensitive to battery voltage. How old is the battery. Did you try to jump it?
2) whatever caused the fusebox to short initially, might also have caused some kind of short upstream. You can check those circuits for continuity. It's odd that another relay clicks.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:26 AM

2009 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by TX07GL450
I could offer couple of thoughts. I am sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.
1) Battery voltage - 11.9 seems very low. These modern vehicles are very sensitive to battery voltage. How old is the battery. Did you try to jump it?
2) whatever caused the fusebox to short initially, might also have caused some kind of short upstream. You can check those circuits for continuity. It's odd that another relay clicks.
11.9 on with key in on position. Key off 12.5 where do you suggest I start checking upstream?. thanks for helping.! And the battery is less than 6 months old. When I jump the relay it cranks with good speed.

Last edited by AARG; 09-16-2019 at 03:17 AM.