GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Wrong bolt pattern?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 10:59 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 GL550
Wrong bolt pattern?

Quick question for the masses: My GL550 was getting the tires worn down, so I thought it a good opportunity to pick up some winter wheels and tires. Found a good set used, which I think were on an ML prior but could be wrong on the model. I DO know that they're 18" 5x112s, with a ET44 offset. Not worried about clearances, the clear the caliper and not worried about the flush-ness. Now onto the question:

What the f*** is MY bolt pattern?? Everything I've read on here and data pages, have stated plainly that it's a 5x112 bolt pattern. These replacement wheels, are clearly stamped as 5x112's. I forget the manufacturer but I do know they're stamped, and they were previously used on another MB, which apparently almost always uses a 5x112. But they simply do not fit. They will not line up. If I center a bolt hole at the top of the rotor, and put the wheel in place with a single bolt at the top, nothing else lines up. Each subsequent hole is around 1/8, maybe a hair more, off. So how is the math not working on this mess? I am at a complete loss, it's baffling me. I have factory AMG 21"s on it, which match every other picture and casting numbers as every other set I've seen online, which all also clearly state that they are 5x112s. Is the only logical answer, that these other wheels aren't actually 5x112s? Even though they came off another MB, and are stamped as such? I mean, I put the original wheel back on, it went on instantly so it's not like I was somehow not lined up correctly.

Any thoughts? Or have I just gone senile ahead of my time?

EDIT: Went back out, and they are definitely different. The "new" wheels, measure 4 3/4" from center hole to diagonal outside. Mine, which I even checked again and are genuine Merc Brabus, made in Germany with all the correct stampings, are more like 4 1/2" maybe a hair under. Hard to say since I had to measure that from the outside of the wheel while mounted. But if I'm doing my math correct, I'm reading that the new ones are 5x120s instead, and are stamped wrong. Also would mean they didn't come off a ML350 as I was told, apparently, not without adapters...

Last edited by CharlzO; 10-03-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
GL320
5x120 is stock. Lock it in. Been down this road before.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:54 PM

2010 GL550
I ordered a set of adapters this morning, so we'll see how it goes. I measured plenty of times, including this morning before work while I had daylight. A bit irked that they're stamped incorrectly, but not much I can do about it now. Pretty sure that despite being told they were on an ML prior, there's no way to know the actual setup.

At least when it's said and done, I'll have a winter/offroad setup - easier to find meaty tires for an 18" wheel, after all.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by dhurley
5x120 is stock.
What? Please help to understanding.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by CharlzO
I ordered a set of adapters this morning, so we'll see how it goes. I measured plenty of times, including this morning before work while I had daylight. A bit irked that they're stamped incorrectly, but not much I can do about it now. Pretty sure that despite being told they were on an ML prior, there's no way to know the actual setup.

At least when it's said and done, I'll have a winter/offroad setup - easier to find meaty tires for an 18" wheel, after all.
TBH I'd get my money back on those wheels and instead get 2007 (and I think 2008) GL 18" wheels. They'll look more authentic. We had a major discussion on this topic for off road purposes.

I'd go nuts knowing I was driving around on adapters.

There have to be plenty of 07-08 GL 18" wheels out there. When I bought a second set for off roading I got them delivered for $100 each.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:38 PM

2010 GL550
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
TBH I'd get my money back on those wheels and instead get 2007 (and I think 2008) GL 18" wheels. They'll look more authentic. We had a major discussion on this topic for off road purposes.

I'd go nuts knowing I was driving around on adapters.

There have to be plenty of 07-08 GL 18" wheels out there. When I bought a second set for off roading I got them delivered for $100 each.
Unfortunately, there aren't many around here. Part of the reason I replaced my XJR with this was the fact that there aren't very many of these in the area, which I'm sure isn't the most ideal criteria when choosing a vehicle lol. This used set is almost the same style as my OEM 21's, just smaller, and I never anticipated any issues, really. It was a private party purchase, so money back isn't an option (they were only $375 for the set with the almost-new Blizzaks already mounted and Tire sensors. Some curb rash, but they're for winter, so I wasn't really that concerned. Just caught me off guard since I'm right in the middle of getting my boat pulled for the winter and all the winterizing with that, so I was just hoping something would be simple. Never works that way lol. I do want a "good" set of 18's in the near future; these were just supposed to get me by in the meantime. I'll keep posted when the adapters arrive. With how this is going, I can only imagine it taking a wild left turn into WTF-ville if they don't fit.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by CharlzO
Unfortunately, there aren't many around here. Part of the reason I replaced my XJR with this was the fact that there aren't very many of these in the area, which I'm sure isn't the most ideal criteria when choosing a vehicle lol. This used set is almost the same style as my OEM 21's, just smaller, and I never anticipated any issues, really. It was a private party purchase, so money back isn't an option (they were only $375 for the set with the almost-new Blizzaks already mounted and Tire sensors. Some curb rash, but they're for winter, so I wasn't really that concerned. Just caught me off guard since I'm right in the middle of getting my boat pulled for the winter and all the winterizing with that, so I was just hoping something would be simple. Never works that way lol. I do want a "good" set of 18's in the near future; these were just supposed to get me by in the meantime. I'll keep posted when the adapters arrive. With how this is going, I can only imagine it taking a wild left turn into WTF-ville if they don't fit.
Gotcha. Well, something else occurred to me, if you are so inclined: You could peel the Blizzaks, remove the TPMS, and install same on a set of GL 18" wheels. Then sell the wheels.

How much do your adapters increase offset? If I were you I'd check the offset of your new wheels, add the adapter offset, and then compare that to the stock offset. The GL has sturdy wheel bearings, so you aren't likely to overload them with offset, but still - it would comfort me to know I was sticking as close to stock as possible.

Best of luck. These are tricky waters to navigate.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:53 AM

2010 GL550
I had thought about that, but the Blizzaks are a little under-sidewalled for an 18". They're 255/55's so the speedo will be off a bit. The original plan was basically "Oh crap, tires are getting pretty worn. Well hey, there's a set that should go right on, and they have decent snows on them. I'll get those to take care of a) tires, and b) winter this year, while dealing with the speedo being off and the weird way they'll probably look. Then next year, I'll buy the appropriate 18" tires instead."

These spacers are a 20mm, and if my math adds up with the 44 offset stamped in the wheel (if THAT'S accurate too lol), then I should actually end up with the outer edge pretty close to stock, just an inch or so less diameter. At this point though, even after I get things, IF the adapters even do work as I pray, I'll be looking for a new replacement set of winter wheels and tires that I don't have to fuss with, and then re-sell these things. Like you said, long-term, I wouldn't feel happy with them. Yeah they're only for a few months, but still. A 5mm spacer, yeah, I can do that all day. But a bolt-on adapter isn't what I signed up for lol

Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Gotcha. Well, something else occurred to me, if you are so inclined: You could peel the Blizzaks, remove the TPMS, and install same on a set of GL 18" wheels. Then sell the wheels.

How much do your adapters increase offset? If I were you I'd check the offset of your new wheels, add the adapter offset, and then compare that to the stock offset. The GL has sturdy wheel bearings, so you aren't likely to overload them with offset, but still - it would comfort me to know I was sticking as close to stock as possible.

Best of luck. These are tricky waters to navigate.
The following users liked this post:
eric_in_sd (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 08:56 AM

2010 GL550
Definitely need shorter bolts for the adapter to bolt to the hub. By a good 12mm or so. Guess we press our luck for two more days lol
eric_in_sd (10-08-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:17 AM

2010 GL550
Just as a follow-up to this fiasco, I FINALLY got the wheels on last night. After two hours with my grinder and a cut off wheel. Turns out, the bolts at 33mm were still about 1mm too long and were bottoming out. On the plus side, I knew I could take a couple off and still have plenty of thread engagement. And when I ordered these bolts, I knew it would be close, so having to do that was going to be a possibility. What I hadn't counted on was the heads of the bolts sticking out past the lip of the spacer and interfering with the seat of the wheel. They have indents between the lug holes, as I've noticed most wheels do. But they are shallow enough that the bolt heads were hitting on the back side. So not only did I have to cut down the threads a couple of mm, but I also had to basically cut the head of the bolts down by half, but leaving enough to get a bite on with my lug wrench so I could tighten them properly. My already-wary self about using the adapters is even more so now. Physically, the bolts are fine, full thread engagement, and still plenty of meat on the head of the bolt, and was able to torque them properly. But still..

On the plus side though, they're on, and they're decently enough balanced where there's no vibration (even with all my bolt hacking and adapters) at least up to 80 MPH or so, and they even survived a panic swerve when some ****-hat came over a knoll half in my lane. I'll re-check the lugs tonight before I leave work, but I think they'll last me the winter. Or at the very least, long enough for me to find a proper 5x112 wheel/tire combo for snow use that doesn't require shade-tree mechanic methods of operation.
eric_in_sd (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Well, I'm impressed. Lot of work, but you got 'er done.

Check out a x166 with 07-08 GL wheels: https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post7871716
Old 10-10-2019, 12:21 PM

2010 GL550
I saw that just the other day, I definitely have to keep an eye on the market around here. Maybe some A/T's in my future?
eric_in_sd (10-11-2019)