Lift Gate won't unlatch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Lift Gate won't unlatch

Hi there,

I have searched the forums up and down and have heard this problem mentioned once or twice, but I have not seen a solution that works for me. My '07 GL-450's lift gate will not unlatch using any of the buttons that are designed to serve that purpose. I can crawl back and manually unlatch it... from there, all of the open buttons (keys, drivers door button, lift gate opener) get the gate to lift and again all of the same methods will work to get the gate to go down and latch, but when I try to open it again the motor runs and tries to lift the gate, but the latch won't let go until I climb in again and release it manually. An interesting note (at least I think) is that when the gate is closed and latched, the car doesn't recognize the gate as being latched. While I am driving, I get periodic warnings that the lift gate is open and the lift gate button on the drivers door always has its little red light on. In my head, if the car doesn't think that gate is latched then it wouldn't unlatch it before trying to lift the gate. I am not trying to anthropomorphize the car or anything, I am just not sure how these things work... not sure if the different bits talk to each other or not.
It all started happening intermittently about two years ago. Eventually, it just stopped working altogether. I figured that the latch had gone out and so I replaced it. The replacement never worked. A year later being feed up with it again and thinking that the replacement must have been bad, I am now on my third latch and still have the same problem. At this point I'm guessing it's not the latch...

Without trying to sound to overly dramatic, I am at my whits end with this thing. Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,943 Likes on 3,104 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Can you take it to a dealer or indy for diagnosis? I am a fan of DIY, but in this case it seems like two times DIY didn't solve it.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL450
Originally Posted by Joel Rockwood
Hi there,

I have searched the forums up and down and have heard this problem mentioned once or twice, but I have not seen a solution that works for me. My '07 GL-450's lift gate will not unlatch using any of the buttons that are designed to serve that purpose. I can crawl back and manually unlatch it... from there, all of the open buttons (keys, drivers door button, lift gate opener) get the gate to lift and again all of the same methods will work to get the gate to go down and latch, but when I try to open it again the motor runs and tries to lift the gate, but the latch won't let go until I climb in again and release it manually. An interesting note (at least I think) is that when the gate is closed and latched, the car doesn't recognize the gate as being latched. While I am driving, I get periodic warnings that the lift gate is open and the lift gate button on the drivers door always has its little red light on. In my head, if the car doesn't think that gate is latched then it wouldn't unlatch it before trying to lift the gate. I am not trying to anthropomorphize the car or anything, I am just not sure how these things work... not sure if the different bits talk to each other or not.
It all started happening intermittently about two years ago. Eventually, it just stopped working altogether. I figured that the latch had gone out and so I replaced it. The replacement never worked. A year later being feed up with it again and thinking that the replacement must have been bad, I am now on my third latch and still have the same problem. At this point I'm guessing it's not the latch...

Without trying to sound to overly dramatic, I am at my whits end with this thing. Any thoughts?
Hello, I wonder if you ever found the source of the problem? I own 2 GLs. One 07 and one 08. The 07 has the same problem. Wont latch/unlatch. I replaced the latch, which didn't solve the problem. Then, I put the "nonworking' latch on the 08, and it worked. So, it's clearly not the latch. I suspect something electrical, but would love to see what you uncovered if it was simple, it's worth a try.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:10 PM

2007 GL450
Acsavage,

Hi there. I have been up and down with this thing and haven't pin-pointed a source as of yet. To be fair, I washed my hands of it for a while after my last efforts, so I haven't worked on it for a while. What I do know is thatI am having some issues with my rear and possibly my front SAM module. That might be the issue with the cluster of little problems that I have been experiencing, but I am not certain at this point. At this point, my memory is best suited for what is currently and has recently been in front of me. I have been having progressive issues with my lift gate not recognizing that it is closed (and due to that, not unlatching when I try to open it (speculation/deduction on my part)), my rear right door lock actuator doesn't respond, and my rear vent windows don't open close. I am not sure if they are all related, but I have had some feedback from those who know far more than I that they could all be related the SAM module.

Best of luck. If I find any answers, I'll post.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:02 PM

2007 GL450, 2010 Mini R57, 2003 Miata
I'm having the same issues: Lift gate latch won't release or pull down when closed, right rear door lock not working, vent windows not working. Everything is intermittent and all either work or they don't work. I worked on it this morning and pulled the rear SAM to inspect for water damage but didn't find anything. When I re-assembled it, there was no change in symptoms but then shortly after that, everything started working again with no intervention from me. It has all the hallmarks of a fractured solder joint on a relay or connector but I need wiring diagrams before I can do much more. I'm not one to throw parts at a problem and I understand electrical problems better than most so I'm confident I can figure it out. Any suggestions for where to get wiring diagrams?
Update 7/10/21: Had a new battery on hand already due to slow cranking speed. When I replaced the battery, I found some corrosion on ground spade connector at battery terminal, and the spade terminal wasn't tight. Also cleaned up some debris that had made its way into the front SAM next to the battery underneath the passenger seat. Have driven it a couple of times with no more problems so far.
Update 8/16/21 Have driven numerous times with no further problems. I'm going to call it resolved.

Last edited by Technoguy; 08-16-2021 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Update