GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Dealer replaced hub, power steering hose, and engine mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350 w/ sport package
Dealer replaced hub, power steering hose, and engine mounts

I bought a used 2008 GL550. It had 107K miles, but all of the dealer maintenance records. New tires, brakes, air suspension, power steering etc.
20K miles later, I needed a new right front hub. I expect that and took it to the dealer for the replacement. Of course they found a few items that I should take care of and I agreed to get the two lower engine mounts, and a new power steering hose that was leaking. Both of those seem to be be common items.

Picked up the car, and it was fine for a few days.

Started hearing a noise coming from the front end, wheel was shaking, and the noise increased the longer I drove it. Contacted the dealer and made an appointment for the following week, and left for a business trip.

Returned, and took a short trip where we noticed a groaning noise coming from the engine bay. Definitely the power steering pump. Found the pump to be low on fluid, bought some and drove it home. Parked it for a few days and when I moved it, I had a large puddle of power steering fluid under the car.

Questions- Should the dealer be liable for the replacement of the power steering pump since it was leaking badly after their repair?
They are going to look at the front end suspension as well.

Of course when I went to take it this morning, the check engine light came on for the first time, and was running quite rough. I don't think they are connected to the above problems, but it was running great the day before.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by TVOne
I bought a used 2008 GL550. It had 107K miles, but all of the dealer maintenance records. New tires, brakes, air suspension, power steering etc.
20K miles later, I needed a new right front hub. I expect that and took it to the dealer for the replacement. Of course they found a few items that I should take care of and I agreed to get the two lower engine mounts, and a new power steering hose that was leaking. Both of those seem to be be common items.

Picked up the car, and it was fine for a few days.

Started hearing a noise coming from the front end, wheel was shaking, and the noise increased the longer I drove it. Contacted the dealer and made an appointment for the following week, and left for a business trip.

Returned, and took a short trip where we noticed a groaning noise coming from the engine bay. Definitely the power steering pump. Found the pump to be low on fluid, bought some and drove it home. Parked it for a few days and when I moved it, I had a large puddle of power steering fluid under the car.

Questions- Should the dealer be liable for the replacement of the power steering pump since it was leaking badly after their repair?
They are going to look at the front end suspension as well.

Of course when I went to take it this morning, the check engine light came on for the first time, and was running quite rough. I don't think they are connected to the above problems, but it was running great the day before.
sounds like the power steering leak was misdiagnosed - usually it’s the reservoir o-ring (about $3.50) that hardens up and then the reservoir starts leaking onto everything below. If they didn’t offer to fix the root cause the first time around, they took you for a ride on that repair.

check engine light would not be connected to power steering fluid leak nor a front hub. It’s something entirely different, probably a misfire.