GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Odd behavior....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 10:48 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
GL320
Originally Posted by Yup497
Dhurley so since the color thats leaking is the greenish color I SHOULD stick with Pentosin CHF 11S???
I would look in your owners manual for the power steering fluid spec that it should be. Spec 236.3 is ATF. Spec 345.0 is CHF. Then buy a cheap turkey baster and remove a little bit of power steering fluid to see what the color truly is. I just took this picture in my garage. Both fluids are new genuine MBZ and wiped on to a clean paper towel. CHF is a dark green in the bottle, but light green when wiped on a towel.

345.0 MBZ CHF 11S on the left, 236.3 MBZ ATF on the right.

Originally Posted by DennisG01
Maybe I mispoke above. The manual states that either MB brand Power Steering fluid or ATF Dex III can be used. There's no mention of them not being mixable. Somewhere else I read that they can be mixed, too.

Are you positive about Pentosin not mixing with ATF? I think the reason I made that assumption was that I have been mixing Pentosin with MB Fluid for a couple years now. So... if ATF can be mixed with MB Fluid and Pentosin can be mixed with MB Fluid... then doesn't that mean that Pentosin can be mixed with ATF?
MB 236.3 ATF is your standard Dex 3. People in the BMW and Porsche world have complained for years that CHF and ATF will eat seals and hoses when mistakenly mixed together. CHF is also a much thinner viscosity and a popular choice in cold climates.

Last edited by dhurley; 03-02-2020 at 10:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 08:40 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Originally Posted by dhurley
I would look in your owners manual for the power steering fluid spec that it should be. Spec 236.3 is ATF. Spec 345.0 is CHF. Then buy a cheap turkey baster and remove a little bit of power steering fluid to see what the color truly is. I just took this picture in my garage. Both fluids are new genuine MBZ and wiped on to a clean paper towel. CHF is a dark green in the bottle, but light green when wiped on a towel.

345.0 MBZ CHF 11S on the left, 236.3 MBZ ATF on the right.

MB 236.3 ATF is your standard Dex 3. People in the BMW and Porsche world have complained for years that CHF and ATF will eat seals and hoses when mistakenly mixed together. CHF is also a much thinner viscosity and a popular choice in cold climates.

Okay thank you for the advice. I'll report back with my findings. Thanks again everyone.