GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New To Forums, need help with airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
New To Forums, need help with airmatic

My wife has a 2011 GL 450 and the left (driver) side front elevation is 2-3 inches lower than the right. I replaced the struts with the airbags, replaced the sensors, and replaced the valve assembly. Nota, nothing works. In reading some of the posts, it sounds like the computer needs to be reset to level the vehicle? I have a iCarsoft MBII reader and it gives me the levels and says that indeed the left front is almost three inches lower than the right.

My question is should I acquire the xentry software/computer/C6 Multiplexer to keep up with this vehicle? Is C6 required or one of the lesser ones, say, C4 work? If so, how do I go about acquiring that at a reasonable price? I'm not a mechanic, I am just a car owner who is talented enough to piddle with this, but hate it getting the better of me. The car has about 90K miles and we want to keep it longer. The dealership wants HUGE money as they just want to change the entire airmatic system. If I were to do that, I'd just trade it in and get another vehicle.

Any advice would be appreciated as I like this car and now it's a challenge. I see there are Chinese knockoff type of products but do they work, and I don't mind investing some money, but don't want to go overboard. Please let me have your advice as to which direction I should go.

Thank you in advance!

Mike

Last edited by Mike Sibley; 07-05-2020 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added c4 as well as c6
Old 07-06-2020, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 578 Likes on 487 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Look up user Shardul Who supplies a real MB type system.

yes you can calibrate the car manually or automatically with MB Star/DAS

also read out each level sensor live, which will give you be best clue as to what’s going on

I’ve never needed to calibrate the car as I’ve never replaced sensors, but with das it’s easy.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:04 PM

GL 450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Look up user Shardul Who supplies a real MB type system.

yes you can calibrate the car manually or automatically with MB Star/DAS

also read out each level sensor live, which will give you be best clue as to what’s going on

I’ve never needed to calibrate the car as I’ve never replaced sensors, but with das it’s easy.
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2020, 10:48 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Check your air lines for any leaks.... I had a leak on my rear driver's side line.. more like a crack in the line.. I could hear the air hissing out. Super easy DIY.

I got one of these [couplers] to rejoin the line at the fracture point:
Air Line Hose Repair Straight Union Connector. Air Line Hose Repair Straight Union Connector.

Last edited by Miguk_Saram; 07-07-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:35 PM

2012 GL350 Bluetec
Check leveling sensors arm/link

I had the exact same issue. After spending 1000s turned out it was a little link arm that connects the air shocks to control arm. All 4 (2 front and 2 back) must move freely. The are exposed to the elements so they can rust of get dirty.

The part numbers for these link rods are 1643202432 and 1643202332.