GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Push button start not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec
Push button start not working

I have a 2011 GL350 Bluetec. My key fob locks and unlocks doors perfectly. But the push start button does not work. When I try to use the push button start I get a message on my dash that says "key not detected". Therefore I must insert the key fob in the ignition switch and turn it in order to start the car. One clue might be when I hold the key fob in my hand and shake it I can hear, what I assume is the metal key rattling inside the key fob like it is loose or maybe something else is loose. By the way I have a brand new battery in the key fob. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:03 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 GL550
Does it happen every time? I have had this happen intermittently though it's been a long time now. I know I've already replaced not only the fob battery but the main vehicle battery as well, and can't remember it happening since. I do know that the few times it did happen, it almost was acting like the key was just too far away. If I pulled the key out of my pocket and had it in my hand while pushing the button, it worked fine. Just wondered if yours was all the time, or if any weird little things like that might have worked. I can't say if it was a minor gremlin related to my battery as I had other issues that led me to replace it, but I do know it's been a long time since I've had that happen under normal use since then.