GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

icarsoft MBll vs the dealer's scanner (Star or On Star or ???)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2020 | 10:57 AM

gl 450
icarsoft MBll vs the dealer's scanner (Star or On Star or ???)

My icarsoft MBll scanner gave me only this information related to my "Airmatic Malfunction" warning, "Recovery time during filling of reservoir is too long."

Max replied that if I change my compressor the problem would be solved but that I need to find out where an air leak might be, also, so I guess I'd better go through the soapy water routine at all air line connections at the four air bags and at the valve block.

I think I've read that the dealer's scanner (Star or On Star, or ??) can pinpoint the problem as to where the leak, or other problems might be. Is that correct?
Old 09-21-2020 | 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
The DAS system will only provide general guidance where you need to look for leaks. wrt airmatic scans it is not as definite as other sensor scans where it’ll say f. Ex Oxy sensor or CPS is failed. In this case the scanner just prods you in the right direction, but
a visual inspection is required before swapping airmatic parts.

your compressor could just be tired from age - can you read out the runtime with your scanner?
if the bags show evidence of having been replaced and don’t leak, I would leave them alone for now.
Old 09-21-2020 | 11:53 AM

gl 450
Yes on compressor time

Originally Posted by Max Blast
The DAS system will only provide general guidance where you need to look for leaks. wrt airmatic scans it is not as definite as other sensor scans where it’ll say f. Ex Oxy sensor or CPS is failed. In this case the scanner just prods you in the right direction, but
a visual inspection is required before swapping airmatic parts.

your compressor could just be tired from age - can you read out the runtime with your scanner?
if the bags show evidence of having been replaced and don’t leak, I would leave them alone for now.
I’ll have to reconnect the scanner and write down compressor run time. What would be considered a lot?

I replaced both rear bags with new Arnotts about 10k miles ago and, if I remember correctly, Arnotts were already on the front.
Old 09-22-2020 | 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
In DAS, you can read out how long the compressor has run, in seconds. That’ll give you an idea of how old it is.

when you install a new compressor you zero out the run time.

hopefully your system can do that.