GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

AVIN 9" Radio install for GL450...Humming Noise & Pop..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Silverado, Cadillac, GL450
AVIN 9" Radio install for GL450...Humming Noise & Pop..?

So yesterday I installed the AVIN PX6 radio in my 2011 GL450 and needless to say it's been trial and error. After finally getting the radio powered up, I seem to be getting background noise (which you can't hear if the music is playing) and an initial slight pop when the amp comes on or the power turns off. I'm not sure if I have a bad ground or if I forgot to hook up some other wire. I have no other reception issues regarding FM radio due to tapping into the Sirius turner. Also no issues with the reverse camera.
  • My MOST Interface adapter only has 2 ports to plug into (Fiber connection port and power supply port).
  • I have the the YELLOW and RED MOST Interface wires soldered onto the #15 wire from the factory wiring harness.
  • I have the BLACK wire from the MOST Interface soldered onto the #12 wire from the factory wiring harness.
  • I have the "AMP CON" wire from the android unit connected to the Blue AMP-CONT wire coming out of the supplied wiring harness. This seemed to give me power from the amp...
  • In the AVIN install video the YouTube video states to connect the MOST YELLOW, RED (ACC/B+) to 12V switched, Black to ground.
  • *******Here's what I'm missing*** In the AVIN installed video it also says to power up the "ACC & ILL" from the android unit. I WAS TOLD NOT TO DO THAT by AVIN customer service!
What am I missing on my connections...?
Thanks
Mark

Last edited by cabowabodude; 01-08-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2023 GLE63s Coupe | Previous: Mercedes E350, E63, GL450, GLE 450, GT63
2011 GL450 here as well. Installed this same unit a couple of months ago. Experiencing the background noise (I grounded the radio frame as well as advised by Avin) and the loud Pop on power down. Checked all connections and grounds.

On a side note, my dashboard clock does not adjust to the time on the new radio. Have not been able to correct that issue as well with support assistance.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:27 PM
EWT

Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Originally Posted by mar350
2011 GL450 here as well. Installed this same unit a couple of months ago. Experiencing the background noise (I grounded the radio frame as well as advised by Avin) and the loud Pop on power down. Checked all connections and grounds.

On a side note, my dashboard clock does not adjust to the time on the new radio. Have not been able to correct that issue as well with support assistance.
No help on the noise, but pulling the radio fuse or disconnecting the battery at 12:00 will cause the clock to reset to 12:00 so it will show the correct time.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:52 PM

Sent it back!

After the Tech support had me spinning in circles on what to connect where, and hearing popping and humming noise. I was told I could solve the humming noise by grounding the radio to the car frame (it didn't work). I was then steered towards an article on "How to Fix Amp / Speaker Turn On / Turn Off Pop". Really, this is NOT what I was told before I purchased the radio. I was told this radio would be plug and play and the sound quality would be amazing. If Pop and Humming is amazing please count me out. The radio is on it's way back, hopefully the return process will be better than the install.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:26 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2007 GL450 , 2012 BMW 528i
Originally Posted by cabowabodude
After the Tech support had me spinning in circles on what to connect where, and hearing popping and humming noise. I was told I could solve the humming noise by grounding the radio to the car frame (it didn't work). I was then steered towards an article on "How to Fix Amp / Speaker Turn On / Turn Off Pop". Really, this is NOT what I was told before I purchased the radio. I was told this radio would be plug and play and the sound quality would be amazing. If Pop and Humming is amazing please count me out. The radio is on it's way back, hopefully the return process will be better than the install.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Did your amplifier not work unless you connect amp-con wire? I didn't see people mention this on this forum. I have been recently reading headunit upgrade threads for different information . I bought a Chinese unbranded android headunit and I am going to install it tomorrow. Hope it goes well.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:05 AM

My amplifier worked with or without the Amp Con wire connected. My first recommendation would be to take a picture of everything you purchased and open the items carefully (in case you need to return like me.
I also had a problem with the radio's fitment into my center console, it never fit right. My radio kept sliding down, even when I slid the MB locking bar mechanism up to secure the radio, I would still see ~ 1/8" gap on the top part of the radio. Without the radio being secure to the upper part of the radio bracket the MB HVAC controls would end up pushing up the radio into its proper place albeit the wrong way. Good luck with your install.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2023 GLE63s Coupe | Previous: Mercedes E350, E63, GL450, GLE 450, GT63
I experienced the same fit concerns. Ended up placing a few layers of electrical tape under the AVIN radio so it rested on top of the AC control unit. At least it keeps the radio tight and the margins appropriate. I was told that AVIN is aware of that issues and the "engineers" are working on new brackets. Thats was months ago.

I have been going back and forth with AVIN support for months now without resolution on the background noise, POP issue, dashboard clock issue and more. Have tried grounding the radio, noise filters, and more without resolve. Always told it is with engineering. If I could return without the restocking fee, etc. I would probably do so.

I was advised the the amp con connection is important for the AM/FM powered antennae to operate effectively.