GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Whac-A-Mole O2 Sensor Situation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Whac-A-Mole O2 Sensor Situation

I can't figure out how to solve my continual O2 Sensor issue, please help!

Summary of what's going on:
Replaced OM642 engine and timing chain myself with Mercedes manual in hand - works great.
Check Engine Light triggered and my Foxwell scanner was indicating P2205 and P2201 NOx and P0030 O2 Sensor.
Replaced NOx sensor and adapted with diagnostic tool, no issues.
Replaced O2 sensor with Denso aftermarket, adapted, but still CEL illuminated after clearing codes and 1 cycle start, and scanner showing ID 14E300 "The output for the heater of oxygen sensor 1(cylinder bank 1) has an electrical fault or open circuit." (see attached photo).
Cleaned electrical connectors at sensor and fuse, visually checked line within engine compartment but didn't cut into shroud to expose 5 lines to O2 sensor. No issues and still no luck.
Checked for power from Controller Module to female electrical plug and it's live with 12v (approx).
Tried to Google how to diagnose a 5-wire sensor and everything stops at 4-wires it seems.
Replaced the new O2 sensor again with another one from the same brand, no luck, CEL whac-a-mole!
Performed Live Test but the diagnostics software said it wasn't complete due to O2 Heater not coming online.
Engine starts no problem in heated garage (Canadian Rocky Mountains), with a few momentary stutters, for a split second each after the 1st start of the day, then idles perfectly.

My Electronic Manual doesn't offer me much other than detailed electrical drawings without any troubleshooting guide (that I can find...).

Understanding how to diagnose the 'controller to plug' lines might be valuable.

Any experience share to solve my problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!