GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Bluetooth Issue Can’t Pair Phone With Command

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x164
Bluetooth Issue Can’t Pair Phone With Command

Ok so thanks to everyone that contributed to bringing my dead GL500 back to life in my other post without this forum it would be still stuck on my drive!

This ones hopefully a little more simple to answer, from new the Bluetooth option was selected for command system so on my command screen I have the Bluetooth search option however when i select my iPhone on the screen and pair with password it comes back saying this ‘uhi-1974’ is not supported and will not connect, I have tried with another phone Samsung phone and get the same message does this mean that the vehicles software is too old to recognise modern phones or does anyone know a way round this. Also my sat nav does not allow full postcode can this be upgraded ? Thanks in advance my vehicle is a Mercedes GL500 2006 right hand drive car has factory command unit and was upgraded from new to Bluetooth on option sheet.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:55 PM
EWT

Received 166 Likes on 126 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 07 Audi A4
Do you have one of these in the center console?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...YAAOSwJVxgNCCI If not, that's your problem.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 490 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Might have been some weird euro option to have it be integrated - for us in the us, a plug-in puck provided the Bluetooth bridge to the Comand system.

it’s literally an old skool tv remote size piece of plastic with a silver dollar sized PCB in it. So proprietary and so dumb.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:53 AM

x164
Cheers Guys,

I pretty sure you have just nailed it as I don’t have that in the centre console the only strange thing is when it searches for the phones through the command unit it does come up iPhone on the screen when I select phone it then prompts for pin once that’s put into phone I get the unsupported message. That’s definitely the biggest Bluetooth module I’ve ever seen how technology has moved on 😂 I will order one and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the usual great advice 👍👍👍
Old 02-25-2021, 03:02 PM
EWT

Received 166 Likes on 126 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 07 Audi A4
Do you have a connector on the right side of your center console that looks like this?:

That is where the module connects. If you don't have that, Maxblast may be right about a different bluetooth setup on non-US GLs. The fact that the Command unit recognizes a phone is present makes me think that might be the case as well.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:09 PM

x164
Hey EWT,

It does have a connector in centre console but does not look like the one in picture and if it is the connector it’s certainly not had a puck/dongle in there before it looks brand new. I’ll take a picture tomorrow and if you don’t mind please give me your thoughts. Whoever bought it new paid for a rear entertainment system and a Bluetooth phone system so it could or been a euro option.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:33 AM

x164
Here are photos of centre console and command screen.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It appears your Bluetooth bridge is integrated. Your GPS/Bluetooth antenna may be one and the same.

Still have no GPS reception due to the water episode?
Old 02-26-2021, 04:06 PM

x164
Hey Max Blast thanks for the reply I have had no reception since I stripped out the passenger side carpet and seat I’m wondering if I have pulled out a connector by accident. There was a lot of water I have syringed out of passenger floor well approx 1 litre what I wanted to know does anyone know where the gps cable is routed so I could check this? I have looked at connectors under passenger seat but all
look ok. If I bought a dongle/puck would this get my Bluetooth working ? Cheers
Old 02-26-2021, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wouldn’t think that a donglepuck will do anything for ya, because euro.

However, They’re obsolete and about $30 on eBay so maybe worth a shot.

one other option to hook your phone in is to just use an rca out and hook it into the glove box rca (aux on Comand) audio input...if you have that.

youll still have to shout at your phone for recipients to hear you though.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:26 AM

x164
Hey Max Blast,

Thanks for the usual great advice I think I might bite the bullet and change the head unit to an android touch screen with integrated blue tooth especially with the sat nav just offering part post code my good lady loves the vehicle so unless I get any more gremlins I might do that plus I feel it makes the car look a lot more modern inside. Appreciate the advice tho and thanks for all your help with both my problems👍👍👍👍