GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 Adapt cam pos L intk reading

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 01:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350, GL450
Question GL450 Adapt cam pos L intk reading

Good day! I have a 2007 gl450, I have the following readings from my evo genisys tool, wondering if anybody can explain why one of the readings is negative.
I recently replaced 3 of the 4 oxygen sensors, and coincidentally, the oxygen sensor that i have not replaced is on the same side, (upstream left side). See the photos and please advise if this is a normal reading, or if it has anything to do at all with the oxygen sensor. As usual, Thanks!!!

Old 03-11-2021, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 490 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by harryfrank
Good day! I have a 2007 gl450, I have the following readings from my evo genisys tool, wondering if anybody can explain why one of the readings is negative.
I recently replaced 3 of the 4 oxygen sensors, and coincidentally, the oxygen sensor that i have not replaced is on the same side, (upstream left side). See the photos and please advise if this is a normal reading, or if it has anything to do at all with the oxygen sensor. As usual, Thanks!!!

Hi there

Do you have a CEL? I don't think valve timing has anything to do with sensors - but I may be wrong.

What I would run to ground and eliminate quickly, is the fact that yours being a 2007 with over 200k miles on it, this may be the precursor for a valve train wreck. Some of the early 2007s had a soft idler gear that wore down prematurely and causes the variable valve timing to try to adapt, until it can't anymore then starts throwing codes, until the valves and pistons meet in violent unison.

Read more about it here: http://www.mercedesmedic.com/check-m...y-vin-m272273/

If that's what it is; a drop-in engine from a 2008 or newer GL550 would be the way to go.

Last edited by Max Blast; 03-11-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350, GL450
Cool

thanks! I checked the serial, we are good. There are no codes/Check engine light. In fact, I had a chance to change both the solenoid and the sensor keeping the same results. Not messing with it anymore. I'll check the reading once I change the last oxygen sensor, and will come back to update the thread. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-17-2021, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 582 Likes on 491 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Hi there

Do you have a CEL? I don't think valve timing has anything to do with sensors - but I may be wrong.

What I would run to ground and eliminate quickly, is the fact that yours being a 2007 with over 200k miles on it, this may be the precursor for a valve train wreck. Some of the early 2007s had a soft idler gear that wore down prematurely and causes the variable valve timing to try to adapt, until it can't anymore then starts throwing codes, until the valves and pistons meet in violent unison.

Read more about it here: http://www.mercedesmedic.com/check-m...y-vin-m272273/

If that's what it is; a drop-in engine from a 2008 or newer GL550 would be the way to go.
Max is right. If you are getting OBD errors, there is a fix to updated cam sensors - which are just updated to tolerate wider margins.

The cam magnets fix is quasi-associated with the idler gear issue; I was getting those errors on the intake side and my motor is in the clear wrt the idler gear problem. If the idler gear is wearing, the magnet fix will forestall the engine warning you about it, or something like that - but in general, MB put too narrow of a window on the sensors.

Positive, negative, don't mean much; the system is just fiddling with the cam timing.

I don't think the oxy sensors play a part with the timing, but I suspect that is done more with torque, as with misfire detection.

FYI the OBD codes pertaining to the camshaft timing (magnets / sensors) are P00nm, where n = bank # and m = 1, 2, 4, or 5 for intake advanced, intake retarded, exhaust advanced, or exhaust retarded