GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

How can I test the AIRmatic system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2021 | 09:58 AM

2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
How can I test the AIRmatic system?

I have a 07 GL450 and I have been speaking about my Airmatic issues for sometime…no sagging at all just a light on the dash that says malfunction with an up arrow.

i had a shop tell me it was due to a leak in the front right shock so I changed it. The light is still there. I was getting the code that way it takes too long for the Resevoir to fill and there is a leak in the line.

Before I just keep throwing parts at it I went and got a Autel DA708 so I can run some test BUT I don’t know how lol. I seen stuff about dampers but I thought I would ask before I messed up something .
Old 04-11-2021 | 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mikchek
I have a 07 GL450 and I have been speaking about my Airmatic issues for sometime…no sagging at all just a light on the dash that says malfunction with an up arrow.

i had a shop tell me it was due to a leak in the front right shock so I changed it. The light is still there. I was getting the code that way it takes too long for the Resevoir to fill and there is a leak in the line.

Before I just keep throwing parts at it I went and got a Autel DA708 so I can run some test BUT I don’t know how lol. I seen stuff about dampers but I thought I would ask before I messed up something .
Well I tested the system by manually lowering each corner which obviously worked but when I attempted to raise it back up that did NOT work so I'm looking at changing the compressor next
Old 04-12-2021 | 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Well there you go.

Remember what I wrote about availability of the AMK A1991 compressor.

"partscontainer" on Ebay sells an Arnott that is supposed to be the A1991 but in fact is the Chinesium. They also sell the actual AMK A1991.

The Arnott Chinesium could be now good, but the one I installed in 2018 lasted less than 20k miles.
Old 04-12-2021 | 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Well there you go.

Remember what I wrote about availability of the AMK A1991 compressor.

"partscontainer" on Ebay sells an Arnott that is supposed to be the A1991 but in fact is the Chinesium. They also sell the actual AMK A1991.

The Arnott Chinesium could be now good, but the one I installed in 2018 lasted less than 20k miles.
wow! I have one from Suncore…is there a certain thing you have to do to change it? I was reading you are supposed to drain the resvoir to 3 before changing the struts…I just got the struts done and I don’t think they did that
Old 04-12-2021 | 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
wow! I have one from Suncore
I couldn't tell you whether any of the non AMK compressors are good. I know that I got one from Arnott that is Made in China and it failed quickly. I installed a generic Chinese one and it is loud; hasn't failed yet, but it's only been 9k miles.

The AMK compressors are on Ebay for $377. Given the Suncore is half that, I have my doubts. You might want to keep it around as a spare, which is what I'm going to do with my Chinesium unit.

It is expensive to make a pump that puts out high pressure and is durable. You need a good (i.e. smooth, hard, long wearing material) piston that is a tight fit with a good cylinder. Good industrial air compressors use engine-type pistons with rings and an oil bath, so they last a long time. These ain't that.

The original AMK compressor lasted and unbelievable amount of time, considering what it is tasked with doing.

…is there a certain thing you have to do to change it? I was reading you are supposed to drain the resvoir to 3 before changing the struts…I just got the struts done and I don’t think they did that
lol there are so many hocus pocus things about Airmatic. I changed one in my apartment parking lot. There is one high pressure hose connection, one low pressure, and two electrical. I wouldn't call it easy, but it's not hard.

I never change the high pressure air fittings. Spray them with silicone so the rubber o-ring inside turns freely on the tube. Just unscrew. They need very little torque; if you don't torque them high enough, and it leaks (check for leaks!), tighten a little more. Over-torque and you strip the threads in the plastic; then you cry.

This is one reason you change the pump before it gets completely wasted. You can use the pump to raise the suspension and you'll have plenty of room to change the pump. Just don't try this changing the valve block! All four springs and the reservoir will collapse.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 04-12-2021 at 11:56 AM.