GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL350 Diff. lock system overheated.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2021 | 12:04 PM

GL350
GL350 Diff. lock system overheated.

Hello,

Perhaps someone has had a similar issue like I have at the moment. I have found some diff. lock issue topics in this forum here however, they seem a little bit different to what I have. The issue is when driving out of the garage, the car is in Drive, I take off the break and without acceleration, if I turn the wheel then the car stops (rather than the regular forward motion it normally should have), if I give it a little gas it moves, however I can hear some rattling noise and the wheels seems locked. I tried manually to change the diff lock settings but this didn't help. There is no other message coming up on the screen.

Recently I changed the tires from Winter to Summer but it all worked well after this. Before this error appeared and the wheels locked, I towed a light trailer on a 500km round trip. The Trailer was not heavy.

Has anyone experienced something similar and what has been the problem and what is the solution to fix this? Car has a bit under 150k miles on it and its hard to believe that diff lock is faulty already. Like most of these cars we don't do proper off roading.

Thanks a lot in advance
TJ
Old 04-13-2021 | 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
It’s not your diff lock that is the root cause, it’s a wheel speed sensor most likely.

It triggers a fault and the car doesn’t know which wheel is spinning so it locks everything.
The following users liked this post:
IBRAHIM2005 (12-30-2022)
Old 04-13-2021 | 04:22 PM

GL550 X164
Originally Posted by Max Blast
It’s not your diff lock that is the root cause, it’s a wheel speed sensor most likely.

It triggers a fault and the car doesn’t know which wheel is spinning so it locks everything.
What Max said.

I had a very similar issue. ESP light on the dash illuminated, car would break by itself to a full stop when I would give it gas to move forward. I would also see the diff. Overheated message on the cluster.

I diagnosed the ESP module using MB II scanner which pointed to a faulty left front wheel speed sensor. Replacing it fixed the problem. The concensus here was to replace both left and right sensors at the same time, but I like to experiment here and there so I only replaced the faulty one. I have a second one on hand if/when the next one decides to start acting up.

I went with the Delphi sensors from Rock Auto (no affiliation).
The following users liked this post:
IBRAHIM2005 (12-30-2022)