GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Can I blame the shop for my liftgate mishap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2021 | 08:57 AM

2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Can I blame the shop for my liftgate mishap?

Good day all! I’ve had a time with the liftgate on my GL and I have basically changed every part involved in the system. My liftgate stopped working so I took it to the shop to check.

the shop said as far as we can tell your liftgate is fine you just had some bad washers on the pump and all the fluid leaked out the pump. They said they changed the washers and filled it with fluid. The lift gate worked great after that for ABOUT A WEEK! Well not great because there was always this kinda buckle at the end of it closing but I started getting the same symptoms so I took it back.

this time they said that “something” weather it be pressure or something like air in the system caused the reservoir to come off and all the fluid leaked out from there this time.

my thing is The pressure or whatever was fine until you touched it and changed the washers. Is there something they could have done wrong that could have caused this issue?

​​​​​​​
Old 05-19-2021 | 09:01 AM

Yes? No? Maybe so?

Can anybody provide ANY insight at all???
Old 05-19-2021 | 10:12 AM

'07 GL450
From the photos, the reservoir appears to have come loose at the clamp. Inspect the clamp, look for signs of tampering, and try to re-attach. It's unlikely your mechanic did that on purpose or even overlooked it when filling the resorvoir. Now, he MAY have overfilled it, but.. how would you prove that?

In any case, this is a very simple DIY. To refill the reservoir, just add hydraulic fluid until it touches the vertical line on the plus sign (+) mark. Do not overfill. Test the tailgate a few times. Inspect for any leaks. Verify fluid level (add more if needed). Unscrew the the gasket to release any excess air pressure. Re-tighten. Test again. Recheck for leaks.

I've used the same fluid that i use for my 3 ton hydraulic jacks (linked above) on the tailgate. 60,000 miles later and the tailgate works just fine..

Old 05-19-2021 | 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
From the photos, the reservoir appears to have come loose at the clamp. Inspect the clamp, look for signs of tampering, and try to re-attach. It's unlikely your mechanic did that on purpose or even overlooked it when filling the resorvoir. Now, he MAY have overfilled it, but.. how would you prove that?

In any case, this is a very simple DIY. To refill the reservoir, just add hydraulic fluid until it touches the vertical line on the plus sign (+) mark. Do not overfill. Test the tailgate a few times. Inspect for any leaks. Verify fluid level (add more if needed). Unscrew the the gasket to release any excess air pressure. Re-tighten. Test again. Recheck for leaks.

I've used the same fluid that i use for my 3 ton hydraulic jacks (linked above) on the tailgate. 60,000 miles later and the tailgate works just fine..
thank you for the feedback! I didn’t think they did it on purpose but what happens if you don’t unscrew the gasket to release any excess air pressure? I feel like they might have missed that step and maybe over filled it and it may caused the reservoir to bust off from the pressure.

am I stretching?
Old 05-20-2021 | 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram

does anybody know how to remove or adjust the ring on the reservoir?