Blind Spot Assist/Radar Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 04:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 GL450
Blind Spot Assist/Radar Sensor Replacement

Hello All,
I have a 2012 GL450 and I would like to replace my rear blind spot assist/radar sensors. The orange triangles on my side mirrors annoy me so very much. I have found a few videos however, none are identical to my truck. I'm not sure how to access my sensors without removing the entire rear bumper. I have a tow package and a chrome plate so it looks like the bumper would have to be disassembled to access it. Has anyone else replaced these sensors on this make and year? If so how did you access them? Also did you replace the sensors with new, used or aftermarket sensors? Can the sensors be accessed by removing the grey trim piece on the bumper? I have attached a few pics of my trucks bumper assembly.
Thanks in advanceTonya

Can the gray trim be removed without removing the entire bumper?

Old 06-24-2021, 01:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
look to MB WIS for all your answers,subscribe or go to ebay for a copy, you will be amazed at the diagnostic equipment needed to accomplish
The following users liked this post:
ltpace610 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Do you want to replace the sensors because you think they’re malfunctioning?

or do you want to disable the system?

The former can be confirmed and the latter can be done by someone with an MBstar/DASsystem and the function simply coded out, or set to inactive.

probably about an hours worth of labor and no disassembly required. No reason to take anything apart until you’re certain where the fault lies..
Old 06-24-2021, 07:34 PM

2012 GL450
Originally Posted by Plutoe
look to MB WIS for all your answers,subscribe or go to ebay for a copy, you will be amazed at the diagnostic equipment needed to accomplish
Thank you. I wasn't aware that I could find it on eBay.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:41 PM

2012 GL450
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Do you want to replace the sensors because you think they’re malfunctioning?

or do you want to disable the system?

The former can be confirmed and the latter can be done by someone with an MBstar/DASsystem and the function simply coded out, or set to inactive.

probably about an hours worth of labor and no disassembly required. No reason to take anything apart until you’re certain where the fault lies..
I would like to disable the system. But from what I understand since the system is currently inoperable/malfunctioning it can't be disabled. The sensors must be replaced so that the system can then be disabled. The blind spot assist error message on my dash and the orange triangles on my mirror mirrors.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2021, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by ltpace610
I would like to disable the system. But from what I understand since the system is currently inoperable/malfunctioning it can't be disabled. The sensors must be replaced so that the system can then be disabled. The blind spot assist error message on my dash and the orange triangles on my mirror mirrors.
Thanks
negative, ghost rider. Find yourself an Indy with a. MBStar system with developer mode - it’s simply a question of finding the right menu item and turning a 1 to a 0, or in the case of dev mode from “ein” to “aus” - it’s all in German.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:07 AM

2012 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
negative, ghost rider. Find yourself an Indy with a. MBStar system with developer mode - it’s simply a question of finding the right menu item and turning a 1 to a 0, or in the case of dev mode from “ein” to “aus” - it’s all in German.
Thank you. I tried going that route. And I was unsuccessful with to shops. Neither were able to figure away to override the system.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
the sensor can be replaced without removing the bumpers is latched into placed and slides out, you will have to remove the Exhaust tip for easier access.
The following users liked this post:
ltpace610 (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:20 AM

2012 GL450
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
the sensor can be replaced without removing the bumpers is latched into placed and slides out, you will have to remove the Exhaust tip for easier access.
Thank you so much for this information. I greatly appreciate it.