GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL550 Towing Impression

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2021 | 02:08 PM

GL320 CDI
I've only pulled a medium size utility trailer (10ft bed I believe), filled with limbs and wood from a tree we cut down. I was initially concerned because I didn't "feel" any trailer behind me.

Side question: I know I"m probably answering this myself, but thought I'd ask for perspective from the group. We used a hitch basket with a riser for a trip to Yellowstone. At the time, I didn't realize my rear shocks were blown, so occasionally we would bottom out (with loaded basket) on the freeway. From the angle of the hitch basket now, it appears either the tongue or the hitch or the riser are bent.
A) Is it more likely the faactory Mercedes hitch itself is bent? What is suggested resolution?
B) Is the length of the hitch basket tongue + the riser likely to repeat the process strictly from leverage or would the culprit have been bottoming out at speed?

Old 07-27-2021 | 02:35 PM

GL 350
First generation GL had a faulty hitch from 2007 to 2011. You can identify them via the round safety chain loops on them. The receiver box would break from the round tube. There was a recall to weld the receiver box to the round tube. If you give your VIN to a Mercedes dealer, they could tell you if your GL has the faulty hitch and whether the recall was applied. I personally do not feel comfortable towing anything heavy with the fixed hitch and would rather replace the faulty hitch with the newer version, which is very stout.
Old 08-06-2021 | 09:22 AM

GL350
The air suspension in the GL550 really does a great job of eliminating those random tugs you feel as you pull. The 5.5L delivers plenty of power and the air suspension really works wonders for towing. After all of this, I really question the crowd that says the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban is the way to go for family tow rig. Maybe it would be different if I was pulling something bigger than my Yamaha 212x which is 21 feet long and 5000+lbs with boat/trailer/gas/gear.
​​​​​​​

Towing 4,000lbs is very enjoyable. would highly recommend X164 as a family tow vehicle if you don't have the $$ to get a newer GLE/GLS.

I previously had a Yukon and although it was nice and towed well, I didn't enjoy driving/towing as much as I do in my 9 year old GL - those 21" wheels are 🔥​​​​​​​🔥​​​​​​​🔥

The following users liked this post:
RostamDastan (08-06-2021)
Old 08-08-2021 | 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.

This is a pic of the most I’ve towed with the GL, supposedly 6k as stated before in this thread.

what I will add is that I have a curt echo Bluetooth brake controller - it’s totally ****. No need to hack into wiring to install a brake controller when this thing just plugs in and does it for you, and you can add braking from your phone. Due to the angle of the 9-round connector the 6” curt tube does hang a bit low but not at risk of dragging.

mefferso (08-09-2021)
Old 08-10-2021 | 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
My GL450 was having ESP problems, so the towing stability program was not functional, but still towing the largest U-Haul trailer (full to the rafters) was a breeze, even in downpours and gusts.

Those trucks you see on the road - the tractor doesn't weigh much, and the gross weight is up to 80,000#.
Old 08-10-2021 | 11:48 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
... Those trucks you see on the road - the tractor doesn't weigh much, and the gross weight is up to 80,000#.
To be fair, those have a fifth wheel hitch, right over the axles, which is a completely different animal compared to bumper pull. I read in some technical article (can't find the link now) that max weight you can tow with a bumper pull is 130% of the tow vehicle weight. Afterwards the stability is reduced significantly.
VF_GUY (09-05-2024)
Old 08-11-2021 | 01:07 AM

2006 R500
Originally Posted by RostamDastan
To be fair, those have a fifth wheel hitch, right over the axles, which is a completely different animal compared to bumper pull. I read in some technical article (can't find the link now) that max weight you can tow with a bumper pull is 130% of the tow vehicle weight. Afterwards the stability is reduced significantly.
As a general rule, that may be true, but it differs from vehicle to vehicle. Vehicles with short rear overhangs (like most German SUVs) are less affected by tongue weight (they lose less weight off their front wheels) than vehicles with long rear overhangs (most American trucks and SUVs). That's why basically every 1/2 ton truck is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight/5000 lbs tow capacity when doing bumper pull. Anything above that requires weight distribution hitches to maintain stability. German SUVs can get away with 750 lbs tongue weight without weight distribution because of the short overhang.

Of course, the number of 1/2 ton truck owners that know they're limited to 5000 lbs without weight distribution is very low. These are also usually the same people that think anything that isn't a BoF truck or SUV can't tow.
Old 08-11-2021 | 09:22 AM

GL 350
Originally Posted by Tsumi
As a general rule, that may be true, but it differs from vehicle to vehicle. Vehicles with short rear overhangs (like most German SUVs) are less affected by tongue weight (they lose less weight off their front wheels) than vehicles with long rear overhangs (most American trucks and SUVs). That's why basically every 1/2 ton truck is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight/5000 lbs tow capacity when doing bumper pull. Anything above that requires weight distribution hitches to maintain stability. German SUVs can get away with 750 lbs tongue weight without weight distribution because of the short overhang.

Of course, the number of 1/2 ton truck owners that know they're limited to 5000 lbs without weight distribution is very low. These are also usually the same people that think anything that isn't a BoF truck or SUV can't tow.
A shorter overhang is certainly a desirable attribute. IMO, the super stable towing characteristics of GL/S is due to a combination of attributes. I can think of GL's heavy weight, full time AWD, rear air suspension, electronic stability control, in addition to longer wheelbase/shorter overhang (I'm sure there are other factors). I've towed the same trailer, with the same hitch, with our GL with different shanks. Some shanks were longer than others (ball was 2 to 3 inches farther away from the rear axle). Sitting in the driver seat, I could sense any difference in towing stability. Thats why I think a shorter overhang might not be the main factor.
Old 08-11-2021 | 09:47 AM

2006 R500
A shorter overhang is certainly a desirable attribute. IMO, the super stable towing characteristics of GL/S is due to a combination of attributes. I can think of GL's heavy weight, full time AWD, rear air suspension, electronic stability control, in addition to longer wheelbase/shorter overhang (I'm sure there are other factors). I've towed the same trailer, with the same hitch, with our GL with different shanks. Some shanks were longer than others (ball was 2 to 3 inches farther away from the rear axle). Sitting in the driver seat, I could sense any difference in towing stability. Thats why I think a shorter overhang might not be the main factor.
Weight is comparable to other SUVs/trucks. Air suspension... helps with keeping the car level. The IRS is far superior to the solid axle in terms of performance, so I think that definitely is a contributor. AWD really only helps in low traction scenarios. The overhang on trucks is about a foot or so longer than German SUVs, far more significant than 2 or 3 inches. On our R500, I did notice that the impact on going over speedbumps were more pronounced when using a longer shank.
Old 08-11-2021 | 11:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
I bought my GL320 for towing and it works well.
Old 08-11-2021 | 01:08 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by Tsumi
Weight is comparable to other SUVs/trucks. Air suspension... helps with keeping the car level. The IRS is far superior to the solid axle in terms of performance, so I think that definitely is a contributor. AWD really only helps in low traction scenarios. The overhang on trucks is about a foot or so longer than German SUVs, far more significant than 2 or 3 inches. On our R500, I did notice that the impact on going over speedbumps were more pronounced when using a longer shank.
The ratio of the rear overhang to wheelbase (rather than the absolute value of rear overhang) is what really matters. Trucks might have longer overhangs, but they also have longer wheelbases, and the ratio may not be much different. Again, this is only one attribute, and I don't think it makes too much sense to consider it in isolation.
Old 08-11-2021 | 01:30 PM

2006 R500
The ratio of the rear overhang to wheelbase (rather than the absolute value of rear overhang) is what really matters. Trucks might have longer overhangs, but they also have longer wheelbases, and the ratio may not be much different. Again, this is only one attribute, and I don't think it makes too much sense to consider it in isolation.
Depends on the truck, since they come in so many sizes. A Tahoe of the same year as the X164s is 2 inches longer and 5 inches shorter in wheelbase. The new Tahoes are pretty comparable. The shortest F-150 at the time has a 6" longer wheelbase and 13" longer in overall length. That said, the rear overhang length on a truck is generally the same regardless of the wheelbase, so the ratio gets smaller as the wheelbase length is increased.

I'm pretty sure it is everything that comes together though. Shorter overhang, better suspension, better traction control, better steering setup, etc. The steering on our 2006 Dodge MegaCab is so bad that you can turn it about 1/8-1/4 of a turn before the wheels actually start turning.
Old 08-11-2021 | 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
I've only pulled a medium size utility trailer (10ft bed I believe), filled with limbs and wood from a tree we cut down. I was initially concerned because I didn't "feel" any trailer behind me.

Side question: I know I"m probably answering this myself, but thought I'd ask for perspective from the group. We used a hitch basket with a riser for a trip to Yellowstone. At the time, I didn't realize my rear shocks were blown, so occasionally we would bottom out (with loaded basket) on the freeway. From the angle of the hitch basket now, it appears either the tongue or the hitch or the riser are bent.
A) Is it more likely the faactory Mercedes hitch itself is bent? What is suggested resolution?
B) Is the length of the hitch basket tongue + the riser likely to repeat the process strictly from leverage or would the culprit have been bottoming out at speed?

I didn't see anybody addressing this. It's very hard to tell from that picture what's going on.

But if there is any weight to speak of on that hitch basket, boy - I'd be shocked if you didn't bend something. I would assume the hitch basket arm would give way first, though. That's an insane amount of leverage on the poor receiver. Folks, if you have a similar item to mount on the receiver, do yourself (and the receiver) a favor: Get a decent step drill set and drill new hitch pin holes so the thing tucks in closer to the body. Reduce the leverage in any way you can. That hitch basket arm looks terrifying.
Old 08-12-2021 | 07:50 AM

2010 GL550, 2013 C63
Haven't been here in a while but saw this thread and thought I'd chime in. Recently bought an ATC 24 foot all aluminum trailer with empty weight of 3,300lbs. Loaded up my e46 M3 which is probably 3,400lbs and few other things probably weighing 200-300lbs so I was probably right around 7,000lbs total. Towed with my GL550 to the track and back. Have to say it did feel a bit on the heavier side of what I am usually used to for the GL, but also the truck was able to cope with it without issue. I only felt a bit of small sway on uneven roads as the trailer was pushing the hitch around, but never to an uncomfortable level. Pulling power was adequate but just, as highway passing required planning as acceleration took time.

Conclusion - GL550 can tow even heavier loads. Sure I'd like an HD truck in this case but point is you can tow up to 7,500lbs safely in the GL. Incredibly capable truck.
Old 08-16-2021 | 02:42 PM

2010 GL550, 2013 C63
Originally Posted by Bimmer777
Haven't been here in a while but saw this thread and thought I'd chime in. Recently bought an ATC 24 foot all aluminum trailer with empty weight of 3,300lbs. Loaded up my e46 M3 which is probably 3,400lbs and few other things probably weighing 200-300lbs so I was probably right around 7,000lbs total. Towed with my GL550 to the track and back. Have to say it did feel a bit on the heavier side of what I am usually used to for the GL, but also the truck was able to cope with it without issue. I only felt a bit of small sway on uneven roads as the trailer was pushing the hitch around, but never to an uncomfortable level. Pulling power was adequate but just, as highway passing required planning as acceleration took time.

Conclusion - GL550 can tow even heavier loads. Sure I'd like an HD truck in this case but point is you can tow up to 7,500lbs safely in the GL. Incredibly capable truck.
Thought I’d follow up with a few pics

Old 08-16-2021 | 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Bimmer777
Thought I’d follow up with a few pics
[pics of insane toy hauler, hauled by Toy]
Wow. Very cool.
Old 08-17-2021 | 02:01 PM

In the market
Nice setup. My poor GL550 spend more time towing our boat than not. I took the kids to camp in it without the boat and was thinking how nice it drives. It is a little floaty compared to my M3 though. :-)
Old 08-17-2021 | 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Bimmer777, why aren't you towing with your GL320?
Old 08-17-2021 | 03:50 PM

In the market
Not speaking for Bimmer777, but unless you are towing 50%+ I am not sure I would pick a GL320 over a GL550. The GL550 is thirsty, but it is a great all-around rig.
Old 08-17-2021 | 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by not2fast
Not speaking for Bimmer777, but unless you are towing 50%+ I am not sure I would pick a GL320 over a GL550. The GL550 is thirsty, but it is a great all-around rig.
I did

But this is all an opinion-based thing.
Old 08-17-2021 | 05:04 PM

2010 GL550, 2013 C63
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Bimmer777, why aren't you towing with your GL320?
I sold the GL320 to my good friend! I just realized I still have it listed in my vehicles which I will amend.

But like others have said, for towing alone I would prefer the 320. For overall mixed use the 550 is a better vehicle. Which is why I kept it.