GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Help Identifying Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 10:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
07 GL450
Couple people said something about them having to replace the o ring on their power steering pump instead of the whole pump, but then didn't provide any pics or video to show which o ring would need replacing or anything...
Old 12-07-2021, 10:18 PM

07 GL450
Partsgeek.com

Partsgeek seems to have some decently priced power steering pumps, but the OEM ones are all rebuilt, and I think I'd prefer a brand new one. Anyone know if these Atlantic Automotice Enterprises pumps are any good? There's some really cheap ones on Amazon, but they're probably crappy Chinese parts. The OEM Bosch pumps are way too expensive, I'm thinking I'm definitely going aftermarket, but I just need to do some research as to which aftermarket pumps are from reputable manufacturers and which ones are complete trash. I mean I honestly really just need something to get me through the next couple of months, because once Spring rolls back around I'm gonna be swimming in cash like Scruge McDuck, but this Winter funds are a little tight due to the 12k I just dropped on my lawyer.

Last edited by GelandewagenNub; 12-07-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:05 AM

07 GL450
So I just bought a new reservoir gasket, some bar's leaks power steering, a liter of pentosin steering fluid, and a new serpentine belt. When they come in next Monday, I'm hoping that the new o ring and bar's leaks will fix the noise and then I can refill the fluid, if that doesn't work I'll buy a new bosch pump.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Hey, did you verify that the noise is actually coming from an accessory or use a engine stethoscope to verify it’s the ps pump?

please do that before you dump bars leaks into what could be a perfectly working system.

was the ps fluid low?
Old 12-08-2021, 11:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 GL320 Bluetec
Before I put the Bar's stop leak in it, I would just put some new fluid in, try it and see how it sounds when full and, if necessary, let it leak out onto the ground / cardboard. You're going to wind up flushing and replacing the fluid anyway. I think the other issue to nail down is whether it's leaking at the pump, which is relatively cheap, or much more difficult, at the rack. After fixing a leak at the pump. mine supposedly ALSO has a small leak at the rack, which I will need to address soon.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:04 PM

07 GL450
I'm 99.9% sure it's the power steering. Pretty sure there's a leak somewhere, and air got into the system because of it. Got some spray stuff to stop up any leaky connections, and hoping replacing the reservoir gasket and adding some new power steering fluid will do the trick for now. I don't think I actually NEED a new pump, but I guess I won't know for sure until I do the work this coming week. I'll keep you guys posted let you know how things go.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:07 PM

07 GL450
I'm really hoping that stuff will be enough to get me back working for the next month or two and then I can do any upkeep and repairs I need when I'm making good money again. Breaking my arm and having my truck mess up all in the same week I paid this lawyer really threw a wrench in the gears for me. I started a new business a few months ago and I'm killing it the growth is phenomenal, but this is slowing me down big time.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:40 PM

07 GL450
So I didn't bother switching out the reservoir gasket, I think that the leak might be in the rack, unfortunately. Today I went out to start up my truck and check the power steering fluid levels, it was completely gone I'm pretty sure, because I couldn't even move the steering wheel at all. Added 1 bottle of Bar's Leaks Power Steering Stop Leak Concentrate and the steering wheel started working no problem. No more whines or real loud noise when I turn the wheel. Seems to be working pretty good so far. I'm really impressed with this stuff. They're not paying me to advertise for them, but I would highly recommend this stuff to anyone who has an issue with their power steering. I can't be sure if their other stop leak products work, but just going off of my experience with this power steering concentrate, these products are great.
The following users liked this post:
mglsite (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450
Check to make sure that your radiator fan is coming on when you turn the AC on. I am having problem with mine and if it isn't coming on the temp on the condenser goes way up and the the pressure on the AC system also goes way up. The compressor does not like all the pressure and makes a lot of noise.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by GelandewagenNub
So I didn't bother switching out the reservoir gasket, I think that the leak might be in the rack, unfortunately. Today I went out to start up my truck and check the power steering fluid levels, it was completely gone I'm pretty sure, because I couldn't even move the steering wheel at all. Added 1 bottle of Bar's Leaks Power Steering Stop Leak Concentrate and the steering wheel started working no problem. No more whines or real loud noise when I turn the wheel. Seems to be working pretty good so far. I'm really impressed with this stuff. They're not paying me to advertise for them, but I would highly recommend this stuff to anyone who has an issue with their power steering. I can't be sure if their other stop leak products work, but just going off of my experience with this power steering concentrate, these products are great.
FYI, simply adding regular power steering fluid would have gotten the steering working again. It wasn't working because it was low on fluid - the Barrs Stop Leak wasn't the variable that got it working again... "fluid" was!

Time will tell if it stops the leak. Its not something that can be reported on right away. If it was a small enough leak, it might work - or at least get you by. If you take a few minutes to clean the messy areas, you can then keep checking to see if new fluid is leaking out and where.

Last edited by DennisG01; 12-28-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2012 gl450
Sounds like the power steering pump
Old 12-29-2021, 03:36 PM

07 GL450
Originally Posted by Pmanc
Sounds like the power steering pump
Fore sure. might even need a whole new rack and everything. Kind of a bummer. The bar's worked great though. I had to use two bottles of it, but at like 7 dollars and some change total it was worth it. I realize that power steering fluid would have gotten it going, but I didn't expect the Bar's Leaks to work like that, I assumed it was a whole different type of fluid that you would have to remove and refill with steering fluid before driving around and stuff. I'm really surprised at how well that stuff worked for the price. It just blows my mind that I was about to have to go into debt to get my truck fixed and someone had a bandage for it that cost like 1% as much, and works as well as it does. My truck isn't leaking anymore.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2012 gl450
I’m glad it worked and it didn’t cost a fortune 👍🏻